Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zero: M193 55gr FMJ vs Win Ranger 64gr SP w/ 7.5 barrel

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Do yourself a HUGE favor and 86 that 7.5" barrel. Replace is with an 11.5.
    I'm planning to buy several uppers while I can. This is just what I could get now.

Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    I'd say zero with the ammo you would use when it matters
    This won't be used for duty, or if it is things will be so bad what ammo I'm using won't matter to anybody, so I'll zero it for M193 and call it good.

To be honest, I bought it to compete in the Tactical Games.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 01-09-21 at 19:33.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just swap out the barrel and gas tube.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Interesting. I would swear 193 would be higher.
    That's what I was thinking. It's been my experience that when zeroed with 62gr, 55gr will print a little higher out to 200ish. Always assumed it was due to the higher velocity of the lighter bullet, at that stage.

(And vice versa, if zeroed with 55gr, 62 would be low. All this of course depends on loads, and individual guns, YMMV)

OP, what I do is, zero with the load I intend to use most in that particular gun(s), and learn your offsets for other loads.
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 01-11-21 at 11:55.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    I'm planning to buy several uppers while I can. This is just what I could get now.

This won't be used for duty, or if it is things will be so bad what ammo I'm using won't matter to anybody, so I'll zero it for M193 and call it good.

To be honest, I bought it to compete in the Tactical Games.
    I shoot run and guns regularly. The shooters that win are all shooting 16”+ guns. You’re not doing yourself any favors with a 7.5” bbl. I know this is crappy to read, but a 7.5” 5.56 gun is, in my opinion, nearly useless.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Projectiles go in weird directions, and they're basically unpredictable: thus the reason we have to zero for each different ammo type, and even per lot.
    The direction and degree of deviation in comparison is not consistent between factors such as projectile weight or velocity (except at the extremes).
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    Different guns shoot different ammo differently. I know that sounds weird, but I have had some rifles that have minimal POI changes between different ammo and some rifles that shift noticeably more when I change ammo. I'd say zero with the ammo you would use when it matters, and learn your offset with the cheaper ammo. You may not notice a difference if you are just blasting full size steel targets, etc
    He is 100% spot on. You never know what barrel will shoot bullets crazy. We shoot 77grain SMK's and 62 grain softpoints and they print very close in almost every gun. But I have one AR that shoots the 62's 6 inches high and left. Its like WTF. Multiple others spot on.

I think your plan to dial in your 7.5 with your Lake City to play and have fun is fine. Make a note of the offset, just in case. And have your duty weapon dialed in with duty ammo. But for slapping steal in CQB environment both guns will do just fine, an inch here & there don't mean shit when shooting a bad guy inside your house.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    This is the reason, after I zero with my primary HD ammo, I shoot my other ammo types. I then note the deviance from my primary, and put it on a notecard, along with the date. The notecard goes in my grip so if I were to run out of my primary ammo, I know how my back up ammo types shoot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12