Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW SPR TROUBLE ON FIRST RANGE TRIP. UPDATE IN OP.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    They’re fairly popular. If you instruct dudes that use personally owned weapons, you’ll probably encounter one at some point. I have no input on whether they are any good or not.
    Yeah I was racking my brain, but I’ve never seen one. I shoot 50+ matches a year- SPR, IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, Two Gun. 5 or so run and guns across the country- everyone needs to try these, they’re awesome -but I don’t think I’ve ever seen one.

I guess they make several models, I just don’t think the trigger, especially the trigger weight, is anywhere near the top of the list of modifications you need to shoot well. Anytime I see failure to fire or feed it’s either:

1. Gas- adjustable or loose block
    2. Lube
    3. Some fancy and light trigger

I generally believe you start messing with the gun when it’s the gun that’s holding you back. In my case, it’s almost always me holding me back, with the exception of sights or grip enhancing products on pistols.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Scottsbad-
    I appreciate the time it took to write that. Let me quickly answer your questions, as I am pooped from work last night.
    Gunsmith fired the rifle, it worked. I then fired 60 rounds myself, it hung up a couple times. Sat in a safe all year until 4JAN.
    Im gonna measure to FP & Bolt cam when I get a moment.
    Carrier WAS greased as you said when problems occured. I used Ballistol to clean it again, then lubed it with it cause its what I had at hand. Ballistol has fine for me for decades, but I do use better stuff otherwise.
    Mags were old, proven ones of different make, some Ive used over 10 years..mags werent the issue.
    Ch was greased. And my 'smith staked the carrier key before 1st round was fired.
    It has a Rifle buffer. Ive been wondering if the Recoil Spring is involved in this also somehow.
    Give me some time to do the measurements, Ill check back when I do.
    Thanks again for the post.
    You are welcome. No need to respond.

Without having the rifle in my hands, I can't do much more. Sometimes trouble shooting requires feeling the rifle's operation.

The only other thing I can think of right now is to make sure the rifle is not short stroking, because of a gas leak or mis-aligned gas block. Usually, when the rifle is short stroking you get a different set of problems, but you can check by looking for carbon around the gas key, gas block, gas tube for carbon just to make sure.

I still feel like something is wonky with the buffer spring, or that the BCG is dragging excessively on something. Try a different BCG too, but that's all I can offer.

Yes, good BCGs are suddenly hard to find. I use BCM, Daniel Defense, Colt, or LMT.

I was looking around last night, and was amazed to find that BCM is out of stock on everything, and I mean every major component. Uppers, out of stock, every single upper is marked OOS. Bud's gun shop, every AR is sold out. Rifle Gear, every modern sporting rifle in 223 and 7.62 Nato sold out.

The panic buying has doubled down.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 01-12-21 at 12:34.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I suggest keep the chest thumping qualifications out of the thread.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I suggest keep the chest thumping qualifications out of the thread.
    Dude, no one is “chest thumping”. After someone was emotionally speaking down to me I was establishing, in two sentences, that I was not some dude that walked out of Academy with an M&P yesterday. That it might be possible for people without a yellow name or who post thousands of times a year to also have objective experience, facts, and data to contribute to the site.

This is why this site has become 10-15 people fellating each other in every thread and why this thread exists. Where a dude piece meals a weird gun together, has a simple issue, and folks spend 30+ posts dissecting it and arguing with him about it.

This site is the internet gun equivalent of Texas. A bunch of folks standing around yelling, “DON’T MESS WITH TEXAS! HA!” While they gladly take insane property tax increases and watch the state turn blue-er by the second as it is infiltrated by Californians. It’s just incestuous at this point.
    Last edited by CPM; 01-13-21 at 10:24.

Feedback Score
    back to troubleshooting...

We have a known good bolt. We have known good magazines. We have a BCG that we cannot vouch for.

Isn't the obvious next step what Sinister was getting at-- swap the criterion-headspaced bolt into another carrier and check function? You have other carriers, right? You said you can feel the BCG hanging up, right? Can you reproduce this hanging up feeling with another BCG and the same bolt?

Does the suspect BCG slide freely in the upper with the bolt removed? Do you still feel the "hanging up" feeling without the bolt in?

The light primer strikes I would ignore for now until you identify the source of the feed issues and "hanging up" as it's possible that resolving one will resolve the other.

You can remove the BCG and check for free firing pin travel in the BCG and that the cam pin rotates correctly to allow removal and insertion of the firing pin.

And it is true that "national match" it purely a marketing term. If you value the chrome finish, I'd suggest you can find DD carriers and other chrome carriers out there for the $$$ if you look hard.
    Last edited by Hohn; 01-13-21 at 21:17. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Dude, no one is “chest thumping”. After someone was emotionally speaking down to me I was establishing, in two sentences, that I was not some dude that walked out of Academy with an M&P yesterday. That it might be possible for people without a yellow name or who post thousands of times a year to also have objective experience, facts, and data to contribute to the site.

This is why this site has become 10-15 people fellating each other in every thread and why this thread exists. Where a dude piece meals a weird gun together, has a simple issue, and folks spend 30+ posts dissecting it and arguing with him about it.

This site is the internet gun equivalent of Texas. A bunch of folks standing around yelling, “DON’T MESS WITH TEXAS! HA!” While they gladly take insane property tax increases and watch the state turn blue-er by the second as it is infiltrated by Californians. It’s just incestuous at this point.
    MODS- OP here. Im good, please close this.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    MODS- OP here. Im good, please close this.
    I for one would be very interested in what the prob was. Helps me learn. Please let us know in another thread if this one goes away.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    OP, the thread is still open if you would like it to be. You may notice a slight thread change above.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    THANK YOU, SIR. Lets leave it open please!
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    I for one would be very interested in what the prob was. Helps me learn. Please let us know in another thread if this one goes away.
    Thanks for your interest Tom..its why Im gonna troubleshoot this myself, to learn.
    Only thing, dont when my next range trip is gonna be to sort this out. I will definately update this then.
    I hope my "weird gun" that I "piecemealed together" will soon be up & running.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 01-13-21 at 21:06.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast