Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW SPR TROUBLE ON FIRST RANGE TRIP. UPDATE IN OP.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    SOTAR did an examination of one of these BCG’s and found it to be out of spec dimensionally in areas that look important.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ok Gents, thanks for all the info- Ive got some bcg's to check rifle with. Let me try to do this & Ill get back to yall.
    Sinister- didnt so much "fall" for it, as I researched it here & elsewhere for a year or more, even talked to a well known 'smith in Ohio that makes NM rifles for the USMC...he uses them. I was just trying to buy, what I thought, with my limited knowledge & money, to be the best bcg for accuracy. I am gonna get to work on this and post back here when I can,maybe today, but soon. Oh yes, yes, it is a Youngs NM. With standard BCM rings.Was lubed well & clean. Gun as of right now has under 100 rounds. the other questions I dont know.
    Bamashooter..yep..Im in Huntsville. Bullet & Barrel did the assembly.
    Thank yall again.

UPDATE: Went ahead & stayed in today to look about this.
    So, cleaned the rifle thorough..Marine clean. BCG was cleaned, and to whatever knowledge I have, inspected.
    One reason I wanted the Youngs was the Hardchrome coating. Cleans up easy & nice. Without the BCM bolt in, put it in with the Fortis Hammer CH and check for gas tube alignment-perfect. Was also smooth otherwise- NO hammer drag at all.
    Next, installed bolt...was not too tight, felt like it ought to. Lubed it a tad and worked it awhile-fellas it feels smooth like it ought to.
    NOTE: Im NOT hung up on keeping this carrier if its the problem. But without SOTAR's expertise & gauges..aint no way I can tell good from bad. Next thing to do, is use different bcg's at the range...whenever that may be. But Ill definately do that.
    Im gonna take the advice given and from time to time keep working the action awhile in mean time.
    1168- I have seen that video. Id already long bought mine.
    One odd thing about the bcg. I sent the bolt to Criterion for headspacing. Mike said "they couldnt headpace it to several barrels they tried because the bolt was too small.". So, He GAVE me the new BCM bolt & headspaced it for FREE.
    Id love for SOTAR to get ahold of this thing just to see if its right or wrong inside.
    So, thanks again for help & suggestions- keep any ideas coming.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 01-10-21 at 16:07.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I can imagine how frustrating it is, usually ARs pretty much just work.

Did the rifle hand-cycle more smoothly today than it did at the range? When you say its sluggish, do you mean when you fire it, hand-cycle it or both?

Is it possible the lube gummed up since March? You did say functioning was fine at that time, right?

Unless there is something obvious, I really would suggest returning it to Bullet and Barrel and asking them to fix it.

If you want to try shooting it again, using your headspaced bolt with another BCG may help troubleshooting.

One thing is for sure, once you get the glitch worked out, it should be a SHOOTER!

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-10-21 at 16:30.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I can imagine how frustrating it is, usually ARs pretty much just work.

Did the rifle hand-cycle more smoothly today than it did at the range? When you say its sluggish, do you mean when you fire it, hand-cycle it or both?

Is it possible the lube gummed up since March? You did say functioning was fine at that time, right?

Unless there is something obvious, I really would suggest returning it to Bullet and Barrel and asking them to fix it.

If you want to try shooting it again, using your headspaced bolt with another BCG may help troubleshooting.

Andy
    I agree, AR's just pretty much work, shouldnt need to be broken in or messed with as long as everything is in spec.
    The rifle did hand cycle more smoothly it seemed, today. The lube had in fact gummed up since March..but I cleaned the bcg well and it stil did it after a few more rounds. When I test fired it in March, I slow fired two mags, checking for eveything. It hung up then, a couple times, but all rounds fired amd cases looked & look, perfect.
    It was very sluggish at the range, it was cold, but my other AR's ran like scalded cats, so it wasnt that.
    Im gonna try to troubleshoot this thing, as a learning experiance mostly. MAybe in fact this one DOES need a break in, as suggested.
    Ive got two ToolCraft carriers Ill try with the bolt next time, agan, whenever that may be.
    Thanks for chiming in brother.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Sorry for your frustration. ARs usually just don’t work, as others have said. Look forward to hearing how you resolved this.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I agree with Andy, above. The BCM bolt was/is headspaced to your barrel and extension by the barrel manufacturer. If you have ANY other plain bolt carrier (commercial or GI) I'd use your known bolt and a carrier you know works in other weapons.

The alternate carrier shouldn't affect headspacing at all.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    I agree with Andy, above. The BCM bolt was/is headspaced to your barrel and extension by the barrel manufacturer. If you have ANY other plain bolt carrier (commercial or GI) I'd use your known bolt and a carrier you know works in other weapons.

The alternate carrier shouldn't affect headspacing at all.
    Thank you sir. Could it be that the bcg just needs broken in? It would be the first time of me seeing that- but then again Ive never owned or ran a NM bcg, either.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Thanks Sinister, much appreciated. It's always good to get your thoughts.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Does FTF in the context you used it mean failure to feed or failure to fire with the small indent in the primer you wrote about? I have seen countless SPR builds with super light triggers cause this. If you are referring to a failure to fire I’d be interested in what a standard hammer spring does.

What trigger are you using?
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've seen an out of spec cam pin drag inside an upper, the square head was literally too wide. Might be worth looking at and measuring.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast