Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: NEW SPR TROUBLE ON FIRST RANGE TRIP. UPDATE IN OP.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If an extractor spring needs an O ring, the spring needs to be replaced.
    Kinda like belts and suspenders.

I use 'em because they're cheap insurance (on a carbine). Out of sight, out of mind.

Some of the major mission-stopping failures I've had were from the simplest things. An internally-fogged ART-II scope on an M-21 sniper rifle; a broken M9 locking block; an M4 bolt cracked in half; an Eotech that wouldn't hold zero; and an M16 extractor pin broken in half.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    THANK YOU.
    After posting this- I saw the excellent thread here on springs. I liked the reviews of the 42 coil Tubb spring, and was considerng it already when I saw your fast response. Should I try the 36 or 42?
    Did you score that 42 yet? If so, any updates on it's use?

Feedback Score
    Ok Gents, thanks for all the info- Ive got some bcg's to check rifle with. Let me try to do this & Ill get back to yall.
    Sinister- didnt so much "fall" for it, as I researched it here & elsewhere for a year or more, even talked to a well known 'smith in Ohio that makes NM rifles for the USMC...he uses them. I was just trying to buy, what I thought, with my limited knowledge & money, to be the best bcg for accuracy. I am gonna get to work on this and post back here when I can,maybe today, but soon. Oh yes, yes, it is a Youngs NM. With standard BCM rings.Was lubed well & clean. Gun as of right now has under 100 rounds. the other questions I dont know.
    Bamashooter..yep..Im in Huntsville. Bullet & Barrel did the assembly.
    Thank yall again.

UPDATE: Went ahead & stayed in today to look about this.
    So, cleaned the rifle thorough..Marine clean. BCG was cleaned, and to whatever knowledge I have, inspected.
    One reason I wanted the Youngs was the Hardchrome coating. Cleans up easy & nice. Without the BCM bolt in, put it in with the Fortis Hammer CH and check for gas tube alignment-perfect. Was also smooth otherwise- NO hammer drag at all.
    Next, installed bolt...was not too tight, felt like it ought to. Lubed it a tad and worked it awhile-fellas it feels smooth like it ought to.
    NOTE: Im NOT hung up on keeping this carrier if its the problem. But without SOTAR's expertise & gauges..aint no way I can tell good from bad. Next thing to do, is use different bcg's at the range...whenever that may be. But Ill definately do that.
    Im gonna take the advice given and from time to time keep working the action awhile in mean time.
    1168- I have seen that video. Id already long bought mine.
    One odd thing about the bcg. I sent the bolt to Criterion for headspacing. Mike said "they couldnt headpace it to several barrels they tried because the bolt was too small.". So, He GAVE me the new BCM bolt & headspaced it for FREE.
    Id love for SOTAR to get ahold of this thing just to see if its right or wrong inside.
    So, thanks again for help & suggestions- keep any ideas coming.
    Still having problems with this rifle?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hello SOTAR!
    HUGE fan sir.
    Well, since Ive been unable to get to the range, yes, Im sure rifle will still malf.
    Man, Ive been relly wanting to get your opinion on some things. First, if I wanted you to do an exam of my Young NM bcg..how would I go about that? Second- thoughts on those in general.
    I actually loaded up yesterday for the range with different bcg's, springs ,mags And ammo...only to get there and find several rabbit hunters nearby, then eventually right behing the berm. They had some little fellers with them, so i wasnt going to be "that guy" & ruin a good hunt.
    So, Lord knows when Ill get a chance again. Ive already done several of your "checks"..all good on those.
    ANY thoughts appreciated. And THANK YOU for asking.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 02-07-21 at 18:23.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Hello SOTAR!
    HUGE fan sir.
    Well, since Ive been unable to get to the range, yes, Im sure rifle will still malf.
    Man, Ive been relly wanting to get your opinion on some things. First, if I wanted you to do an exam of my Young NM bcg..how would I go about that? Second- thoughts on those in general.
    I actually loaded up yesterday for the range with different bcg's, springs ,mags And ammo...only to get there and find several rabbit hunters nearby, then eventually right behing the berm. They had some little fellers with them, so i wasnt going to be "that guy" & ruin a good hunt.
    So, Lord knows when Ill get a chance again. Ive already done several of your "checks"..all good on those.
    ANt thoughts appreciated. And THANK YOU for asking.
    That's very kind of you. I appreciate the kind words.

I'm in a holding pattern for regulator work due to my backlog but I can make an exception for you.

If you want to send the upper, BCG, or the entire gun I can take a look at whatever you wish to send.

I would prefer to help you remotely before you send it as much as possible to save you time and money. Sending me a gun can get expensive between shipping and labor. I would need test ammo if you sent the upper or entire gun. I have a test trap for live fire testing.

If you shoot me a message here I can give you shipping options.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOTAR View Post

I'm in a holding pattern for regulator work due to my backlog but I can make an exception for you.

If you want to send the upper, BCG, or the entire gun I can take a look at whatever you wish to send.

I would prefer to help you remotely before you send it as much as possible to save you time and money. Sending me a gun can get expensive between shipping and labor. I would need test ammo if you sent the upper or entire gun. I have a test trap for live fire testing.

I will PM momentarily..thank you.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SOTAR View Post

Awesome to have such a resource here!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Did you score that 42 yet? If so, any updates on it's use?
    I did Tom...but as I told SOTAR...I loaded up everything to take to the range this past Saturday..had several springs, bcgs, and the new Tubb 42 coil. It is a very difficult thing for me to get to the range lately.
    I get there, and there is a group on the adjoining property rabbit huting...several dogs, and I see some young boys with them. They were less than 100 yards away, and eventually made their way behind the berm...they never saw me.
    So, Im not gonna ruin some little fella's hunt, coulda been their first time, & Im an old rabbit hunter myself...so I just sat there awhile, listened to the dogs, and left.
    After installing that spring..I tell you it feels mighty "interesting" & I am looking forward to trying it out. I WILL update when I do.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I did Tom...but as I told SOTAR...I loaded up everything to take to the range this past Saturday..had several springs, bcgs, and the new Tubb 42 coil. It is a very difficult thing for me to get to the range lately.
    I get there, and there is a group on the adjoining property rabbit huting...several dogs, and I see some young boys with them. They were less than 100 yards away, and eventually made their way behind the berm...they never saw me.
    So, Im not gonna ruin some little fella's hunt, coulda been their first time, & Im an old rabbit hunter myself...so I just sat there awhile, listened to the dogs, and left.
    After installing that spring..I tell you it feels mighty "interesting" & I am looking forward to trying it out. I WILL update when I do.
    I look forward to your update. I'm thinking of getting a 42 for my fixed stock rifle length AR, and running a couple of 36's in my carbines. Wondered what you thought of the 42 before I pull the trigger. Can't mess up a guys hunt, that's for sure.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    If I had an AR professionally assembled, I'd spend very little time trying to fix it myself. He built it, so he (or she) should find the problem.

Since you should have at least one spare complete BCG, that's as far as I'd go with troubleshooting. If your spare BCG allows the rifle to run, then the problem will have been identified.
    This.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast