Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using the barrel as the registered part of an SBR...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Using the barrel as the registered part of an SBR...

Do I understand correctly that although typically the receiver is the registered SBR it is possible to have the barrel be the registered SBR?

If so, assuming that the barrel is readily removable and has sufficient longevity such as say for example, a 10/22, what might be the pros and cons of register in the barrel instead of the receiver?

Thanks.

TED

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    where did you see this info at ??

Q: What is the registered part of a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) or Short Barreled Shotgun (SBS)?

A: While a receiver alone may be classified as a “firearm” under the Gun Control Act (GCA), SBRs and SBSs are classified in totality under the National Firearms Act (NFA). A firearm that meets the definition of a SBR consists of a rifle that has a barrel less than 16 inches in length. A SBS consists of a shotgun that has a barrel less than 18 inches in length. The serialized receiver is recorded for registration in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR).

Feedback Score
    You register the lower receiver, where the serial number is engraved. I do believe the information about the maker can be engraved on the barrel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can see where I may have been misinformed thinking that barrel itself could be registered as the SBR.

They thought that similar to how a registered machinegun could be a receiver, sear, or bolt then an SBR could be a registered receiver or barrel.

The possibility of engraving the MFGR on the barrel added further weight to that theory.

However, if I understand you correctly this is not the case and you can not have the barrel itself be the SBR?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    OP, I know this is an honest question for you and possibly others but all you are doing if giving the other side ideas. The very last thing anyone wants is another registration of a gun component. As it stands, the lower would the the thing tracked and you can have multiple uppers without problems. Why would you ever want to change this? I think this whole thread should be deleted, DELETED, so as not to give our enemies ideas.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Kid View Post
    You register the lower receiver, where the serial number is engraved. I do believe the information about the maker can be engraved on the barrel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Correct!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VLODPG View Post
    Correct!
    The lower receiver is the registered part on AR type weapons. The upper receiver is the registered part on SIG 55x and HK weapons as well as other similar weapons. You can engrave the info on the barrel regardless.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    OP, I know this is an honest question for you and possibly others but all you are doing if giving the other side ideas. The very last thing anyone wants is another registration of a gun component. As it stands, the lower would the the thing tracked and you can have multiple uppers without problems. Why would you ever want to change this? I think this whole thread should be deleted, DELETED, so as not to give our enemies ideas.
    Yes, because Nancy Pelosi spends her evenings browsing random gun boards for gun control ideas.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    Do I understand correctly that although typically the receiver is the registered SBR it is possible to have the barrel be the registered SBR?

If so, assuming that the barrel is readily removable and has sufficient longevity such as say for example, a 10/22, what might be the pros and cons of register in the barrel instead of the receiver?

Thanks.

TED
    No The firearm is registered.

The BBL is one of 3 places you can legally place your maker markings.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Like others said, the registered part is the receiver, because that's the firearm under the law. However, you are allowed to engrave the barrel instead. The disadvantage is that you have to engrave every barrel you intend to use with that lower.

This is an important distinction, because let's say you were to put another lower on that engraved barrel, thinking the barrel is the registered part. You would be manufacturing an unregistered SBR by doing that!

The receiver is always the firearm, and you can put basically anything you want on it, aside from a fun switch. But any barrel length, forward grips, foldy stocks, etc. are all good to go.

You can also put a 16 inch upper on it and treat it just like a title 1 firearm in that configuration, such as take it across state lines. That's why it's nice to have a pistol lower. You can even sell it in a Title 1 configuration, though it's considered good practice to contact the ATF and let them know that it's no longer an SBR if you do that. But that's one reason to engrave the barrel instead of the receiver.

I hope that's clear as mud.

P.S. silencers are similar in that you can engrave any part you want, but that doesn't change the fact that the tube is the registered part, because the ATF argues that's like the receiver of the silencer. You can have a machinist replace any part of a suppressor EXCEPT the body, just like you can replace anything but the receiver of a firearm, or the body of a registered sear. And like the case with engraving the barrel of an SBR, if you were to say engrave the thread adapter, you would have to engrave every additional thread adapter you planned on using with it, even though those aren't the body and aren't even regulated parts.
    Last edited by okie; 01-12-21 at 00:47.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast