Thread: NX8 Quick Review

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

NX8 Quick Review

Edited Title and Added Info to OP

The NX8 I ordered arrived and I was able to play around with it a bit yesterday. Figured I'd post my thoughts for reference.

Rifle is a BCM 16" ELW with 13" MCMR.

Mount is the 1.5" 0MOA NF Unimount. I placed the scope as far forward in the rings as it will go and the mount as far forward on the receiver as well.

NX8 is MOA version because I never educated myself on how to use MIL.

BCM stock is two clicks extended from fully closed. I normally shoot NTCH.

The NX8 when held in the hands seems extremely finicky about shadowing and eye placement. Mounted on rifle it's not nearly as bad, but does require repeatable mounting of the gun to the shoulder/cheek. As expected it's more forgiving at 1x, while at 8x you have to pay attention to placement. It is very easy to accidentally move slightly and get shadowing.

I am not a long distance shooter so I really can't comment on the reticle layout, other than the center aiming dot seems bigger than necessary when zoomed to 8x.

With the illumination off at 1x the three thick black lines point to the center aiming point decently well, but the actual center "dot" is not easy to see.

The glass is decent, but after spending this much money I was sort of hoping to have my socks blown off at the sight picture. I wasn't. There is some noticeable edge blurring and the glass just seemed kind of "cloudy" for lack of a better description. My previous Vortex Viper PST II 1-6 seemed like it had better clearer glass.

The form factor is amazing as far as LPVOs go. The NX8 honestly didn't make the gun feel heavy or cumbersome and I am very picky about weight and balance. My previous Viper made the rifle feel like a big top heavy pig which is why I don't have it anymore. The NF somehow just feels small and handy in comparison. Svelte.

My reason for purchase was that I wanted a very high quality optic with magnification for my one rifle. Total general purpose. That means hunting, recreation, and fighting in whatever format that could be. I live in rural NW GA and while an Aimpoint is nice for hiking the hills, it just leaves too much on the table with how far you can see/shoot here, especially this time of year when there are no leaves on the trees. Since we do have hardwoods everywhere target identification is difficult through the woods all the time. Figure generally 200yd visibility through the woods and the occasional clearing. I will not be dialing elevation for distance. Set and forget at 50/200 zero.

My wants/needs in order or priority:

1. Ruggedness / Durability / Dependability
    2. Lightweight / Small form factor
    3. True 1x

** Reticle details, turrets, all that are way down the list

The unit I received showed up with the battery cap broken off so I could not play with the illumination. It is being returned today. My initial reaction to the NX8 was holy cow, broken in the box? I had decided to spend big money on what I understood to be a bombproof optic. Once I contacted the vendor about it they said they would replace or refund, and since it was broken I could gently mount it with some masking tape and get an actual feel for the glass on a rifle. I am glad I did get to look through it "mounted" on the rifle though.

So my overall thoughts are that the NX8 is pretty good. I was disappointed by the glass. The Vortex Viper PST II 1-6 seemed to be clearer, flatter, and much more forgiving in terms of eye placement. The NX8 is king of form factor and weight though. Specs don't tell the whole story. Feeling the difference in real life they seem like completely different animals.

I am a bit soured on the alleged toughness of NF optics, but I understand everyone makes a lemon from time to time. Really that's what I was buying - a set and forget super tough lightweight LPVO. In fairness the broken battery cap had nothing with the glass still functioning and being completely usable.

Apologies for the word vomit - if anybody has any questions please let me know.

If anyone has any input on whether this is the best choice for my use, or if something else would be better, I would appreciate it as well.

Original Post for reference

I hate to start a whole thread on this but I have an NX8 on the way with the NF 1.5 Unimount to put on one of my BCMs with Troy BUIS.

I'm wondering if the scope will fit over the Troy rear folding battlesight or if I need to get something more low profile on the way. I'm planning to mount the scope as far forward in the mount as possible, and as far forward on the receiver as possible.

Thanks in advance guys.
    The answer is yes, it clears the Troy with about 1/4" air gap.
    Last edited by grizzlyblake; 01-14-21 at 09:07.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I can't answer your specific question, but how much use would they be with a non qd scope mount?

If you are set on having a backup aiming device (I am) I'd suggest going with some Magpul or KAC offset sights or an offset red dot.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    I can't answer your specific question, but how much use would they be with a non qd scope mount?

If you are set on having a backup aiming device (I am) I'd suggest going with some Magpul or KAC offset sights or an offset red dot.
    I am with you! Why worry about it you have to use tools to dump the scope.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I updated the OP with a quick review and my thoughts of the NX8 since I received it yesterday, as well as answering my own question that yes it will clear a Troy BUIS.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    I updated the OP with a quick review and my thoughts of the NX8 since I received it yesterday, as well as answering my own question that yes it will clear a Troy BUIS.
    I've had two NX8s that I've moved on from, and given that you have an opportunity to get a refund, I'd definitely suggest taking that option and spending a bit more for a Kahles K16i.

The Kahles outperforms the NX8 in every way for your intended usage except for length. If you were putting this on a 10.5 or 11.5 inch gun, I could understand the length being more of a concern, but since the weight is almost exactly the same and you are putting it on a 16 inch gun I don't think you'll notice a difference in usage. I would literally only pick the NX8 in a situation where the physical form factor is the deciding factor in the purchase.

I would also think the NF would be slightly more rugged than the Kahles, but I'm not sure your experience so far would confirm that.

If you are only shooting out to 200 yards, you may also be better served with an Aimpoint + magnifier setup. The ability to remove the magnifier to save weight could be beneficial during the times of the year where your sight lines are occluded by trees, but you could still throw it in your pack to have it if you need it. I just switched my SBR from the Kahles to a T2 + Magnifier setup on the Unity Tactical mounts and it is a fantastic setup.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Sucks that your NX8 wasn’t fully functional. The thing is nuclear bright.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I currently have a Viper PST II and an NX8 as well and my opinion on the glass is actually the opposite. I feel like the NX8 is more clear and better color/light transmission through it than the PST. The eyebox is a little better on the PST, but not enough that training can't overcome it...actually, I ran head to head drills with each one and the times were essentially the same between the two.

I've also had the Kahles 1-6, and while the glass was very good and the best eye box of all LPVO's I've tried, I just didn't like the reticle and it wasn't near as easy to pick up as the NX8, without illumination. I'd take the NX8 over the Kahles any day.

I know it sucks to receive a broken product, but NF or the vendor will take care of you and it's an anomaly rather than the rule. They have the durability reputation for a reason.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    I currently have a Viper PST II and an NX8 as well and my opinion on the glass is actually the opposite. I feel like the NX8 is more clear and better color/light transmission through it than the PST. The eyebox is a little better on the PST, but not enough that training can't overcome it...actually, I ran head to head drills with each one and the times were essentially the same between the two.

I've also had the Kahles 1-6, and while the glass was very good and the best eye box of all LPVO's I've tried,
    ^^^I agree with everything you wrote here, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    I just didn't like the reticle and it wasn't near as easy to pick up as the NX8, without illumination. I'd take the NX8 over the Kahles any day.
    am of the opposite opinion here.

They are both great optics for sure and I wouldn't hesitate recommending either one. The NX8 footprint can't be beat and if you're use to an ACOGish eyebox the NX8 won't be a problem, but if coming from and Aimpoint it might be while the Kahles will shine. Another thing I really like about the Kahles is the auto shut off feature, I've gone through a lot batteries with other illuminated reticles because I'm a dumbass that keeps forgetting to turn them off, another Aimpoint feature I suppose.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    a T2 + Magnifier setup on the Unity Tactical mounts and it is a fantastic setup.
    This is a setup I've been wanting to pick up for myself.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'm a big NX8 fan and own 2 of them. Also have a PST and had a Razor.

In the end they are all capable, it just depends on what you prefer / want to do with them.