Thread: Optics conundrum

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Optics conundrum

Trying to come up with the best and most sensible choice for me. One, I don't want a LPVO for my own reasons. I have a Aimpoint 3x magnifier with the twist off mount but I want a flip to side mount so I need a reasonable recommendation there. If price were no object I would have a Elcan but that's out. I just saw the Wolf
    1X/4X variable zoom which looks like an Elcan copy but I don't know anything about it's quality.

My main focus is on a 2-3X fixed optic or a Eotech type with my magnifier. A real ACOG is out due to price but the Primary arms versions and Vortex seem high quality but.... made in China. So that's were I am, get a high quality, reasonable price but made in china optic or go Eotech with my magnifier. I want up close speed with some magnification so 2X fixed is OK, not sure about 3X and the space used seems like a small footprint. Or a bigger footprint with the Eotech+magnifier.

The Aimpoint while high quality is a smear to my eyes not a dot.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Optics conundrum

I love my EXPS2 and G33 magnifier. I swapped out the factory mount on the magnifier for a LaRue version.
    LaRue may have a mount for your magnifier and then just add an EOTech.
    ETA: LaRue LT755

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by officerX; 01-12-21 at 09:51.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Vortex has new fixed power optics coming out this year.

If you can wait a little bit, these like like great optics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Put an Eotech on a Unity FAST riser and put your Aimpoint magnifier in a Unity FTC mount. Heads-up position, rapid deployment of the magnifier, nothing hanging off the side of the gun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
    Put an Eotech on a Unity FAST riser and put your Aimpoint magnifier in a Unity FTC mount. Heads-up position, rapid deployment of the magnifier, nothing hanging off the side of the gun.
    I would say this set up would be a good option

If you go fixed power the 2x Primary Arms recently released is getting really good feedback. I am sure it is durable but understand the China thing I really wish they made these in Phillipines like most of the other products int eh GLX line

Feedback Score
    I have an older Primary Arms 2.5x and it's good, the ACSS CQB reticle is easy to pick up and gives me the ability to hit targets out further than my red dot.
    I understand your apprehension because it's made in China.

The other fixed magnification prism scope I just bought is the Sig Bravo3, the first thing I noticed was it's big, it has a horseshoe reticle but not the CQB style like the Primary Arms.
    The glass is crystal clear, it is motion activated which is nice so you don't have to turn it on if you need it.
    I think it was manufactured in the Philippines, but I'll have to check to confirm.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just got an online look at the new Vortex 3x Spitfire Gen II. Looks good, smaller than others, I like it. Not sure where it's made, maybe I don't want to know.... Hoping it's anywhere but china.....

Feedback Score
    You're not going to many fixed optics at 2x. 3x is far more common for prism scopes and magnifiers.

In terms of "EOTech type", only EOTech and Vortex make holographic sights. The more common reflex sights have significantly longer battery life.

You might find these master lists useful:

Optics Database - All prism scopes (48 prism scopes, 121 reticles)

Optics Database - All magnifiers (29 magnifiers)

You indicated a preference for non-Chinese products - the database includes Country of Assembly (and OEM if known) for nearly all optics.

If for home defense, look for optics with "always on" capability: never needing to manually switch on the optic. The list below includes reflex dots, prism scopes, and LPVOs. Most feature motion-on or battery life measured in years.

Optics Database - All always-on home defense AR15 optics (96 optics, 177 reticles)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    SageRatSafaris, do you keep a list of fixed power rifle scopes? (Not prisms.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRatSafaris View Post
    You're not going to many fixed optics at 2x. 3x is far more common for prism scopes and magnifiers.

In terms of "EOTech type", only EOTech and Vortex make holographic sights. The more common reflex sights have significantly longer battery life.

You might find these master lists useful:

Optics Database - All prism scopes (48 prism scopes, 121 reticles)

Optics Database - All magnifiers (29 magnifiers)

You indicated a preference for non-Chinese products - the database includes Country of Assembly (and OEM if known) for nearly all optics.

If for home defense, look for optics with "always on" capability: never needing to manually switch on the optic. The list below includes reflex dots, prism scopes, and LPVOs. Most feature motion-on or battery life measured in years.

Optics Database - All always-on home defense AR15 optics (96 optics, 177 reticles)
    I know what I'm doing this afternoon.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk