Thread: Recommend me an integrally suppressed 5.56 upper or a perm attach suppressor...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Recommend me an integrally suppressed 5.56 upper or a perm attach suppressor...

I see that there are at least half a dozen integrally suppressed uppers for AR's in 5.56 and several in 300 blk.

I have no interest in 300 blk.

For 5.56 the one that stands out to me is Gemtec integra only because of brand recognition and familiarity, no other reason.

It looks like the integral suppressed uppers are all close to $2000!

Therefore I am looking at perm attaching a regular muzzle mounted suppressor.

In your opinion what do you think the pro's/con's of the 2 approaches.

I am concerned about overall weight and balance cost. It does not need to be the absolute most quiet.

TED

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    BTW, the reason I don;t just do a pistol is because I am concerned about their future status and more importantly because I want to use one of the new KE arms polymer lower.

TED

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Gemtech Trek II

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Had a well known vendor in the Form 1 sub sector help me spec out an integral suppressor upper after asking. Location worked out for me as well as very generous technical support in their time to make suggestions.

That solution may not work for all, but I ended up with a fully functional upper for well less than $2000. Performance to date has been excellent - reliable, accurate and within my abilities to service the components legally. *Subject to the NFA regulations of course.*

I am not suggesting that Form 1 is most technically effective nor advanced solution, but the cost-benefit in time and treasure trade offs seemed good to me. I had considered using a pistol lower and COTS suppressor, but became satisfied with the DIY trade offs.

Otherwise, I think you are asking good questions.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Thunderbeast makes their 556 Take Down designed to be permanently welded. It's disassembled from the front so that the owner can take it apart without removal from a pinned barrel. It's also long enough to give an OAL of over 16" while pinned on a barrel as short as 10"

Feedback Score
    I’ve shot a handful of these and they seem solid. https://www.suppressedweaponsystems..../ar-15-uppers/

The only downside is how hot the hand guard gets. If I were to buy one for myself, I’d have them use a Coda Evolution carbon fiber hand guard.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SBRSarge View Post
    I’ve shot a handful of these and they seem solid. https://www.suppressedweaponsystems..../ar-15-uppers/

The only downside is how hot the hand guard gets. If I were to buy one for myself, I’d have them use a Coda Evolution carbon fiber hand guard.
    I am going a similar route but just using a pistol lower for now.

I'm waiting on my Lancer carbon fiber handguard to come in.

I chose Lancer just because I have their handguard on my Sig MCX over my suppressor and I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Why would anyone pay a tax stamp for a suppressor that you can only use on a single weapon? Why wouldn’t you pay less and have a suppressor you can move from host to host?

The sound difference is negligible between a .30 end cap and 5.56. Buy a Silencerco chimera.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Why would anyone pay a tax stamp for a suppressor that you can only use on a single weapon? Why wouldn’t you pay less and have a suppressor you can move from host to host?

The sound difference is negligible between a .30 end cap and 5.56. Buy a Silencerco chimera.
    Because some states don't allow SBR's and because you need to file a 532020 to take an SBR across state lines but do not need a 532020 to take a suppressor across state lines.

Just say'n!

TED

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    As I recall, the thunderbeast setup is well under $2K, including suppressor.