Thread: 16” Recce barrel suggestions: Centurion vs. White Oak

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

16” Recce barrel suggestions: Centurion vs. White Oak

I’ve built three 18” SPR/DMR type rifles in the past, and found them to be absolutely joyful to shoot, (smooth recoil impulse, accurate) but a bit impractical in regards to maneuvering around the house with a suppressor attached (SOCOM RC2). Un-suppressed the 18” barrel is manageable indoors, but I would like to keep the suppressor on for obvious reasons. I’m thinking about building a 16” “do all” rifle to avoid NFA paperwork, and avoid the P&W game. After doing a bit of searching, I’ve narrowed my choices to these two barrels: (1) 16” mid-length Centurion Recce, and (2) White Oak 16” fluted SDM mid-length. Does anybody have personal experience with either barrel? If so, what are your overall impressions on accuracy/performance, fit/finish, durability, and gassing (is the barrel over gassed?).
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 01-12-21 at 14:06.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Had a Centurion Recce barrel, and as expected it's a laser. It's a bit heavy for a "do all" build. The only issue I ever had with it was some BH 52gr match ammo was sticky in the chamber if trying to extract a live round/unload.
    I love the tongue/groove gas block design they do now to index with the barrel. Centurion's have always had a good, tight (sometimes annoyingly tight) gas block fits. They do tend to generously gas though with the 16" middy at 0.078-0.079 IIRC...it runs a little gassy/hard with an H2 buffer and blue Springco.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 01-12-21 at 15:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Compass Lake Engineering has their 16.1" RECON barrels. I have one on a RECCE type build I did a few years ago. I went with their Douglas barrel in polished stainless. Excellent barrel.

https://compasslake.com/product-cate.../recon-barrel/

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Had a Centurion Recce barrel, and as expected it's a laser. It's a bit heavy for a "do all" build. The only issue I ever had with it was some BH 52gr match ammo was sticky in the chamber if trying to extract a live round/unload.
    I love the tongue/groove gas block design they do now to index with the barrel. Centurion's have always had a good, tight (sometimes annoyingly tight) gas block fits. They do tend to generously gas though with the 16" middy at 0.078-0.079 IIRC...it runs a little gassy/hard with an H2 buffer and blue Springco.
    Thanks for the feedback. The heavier weight doesn’t bother me, in fact I prefer heavy profile barrels. They aren’t in stock, so I signed up to be notified when they are available again.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Compass Lake Engineering has their 16.1" RECON barrels. I have one on a RECCE type build I did a few years ago. I went with their Douglas barrel in polished stainless. Excellent barrel.

https://compasslake.com/product-cate.../recon-barrel/
    Did you go with the CLE or Wylde chamber on your barrel?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    I’ve built three 18” SPR/DMR type rifles in the past, and found them to be absolutely joyful to shoot, (smooth recoil impulse, accurate) but a bit impractical in regards to maneuvering around the house with a suppressor attached (SOCOM RC2). Un-suppressed the 18” barrel is manageable indoors, but I would like to keep the suppressor on for obvious reasons. I’m thinking about building a 16” “do all” rifle to avoid NFA paperwork, and avoid the P&W game. After doing a bit of searching, I’ve narrowed my choices to these two barrels: (1) 16” mid-length Centurion Recce, and (2) White Oak 16” fluted SDM mid-length. Does anybody have personal experience with either barrel? If so, what are your overall impressions on accuracy/performance, fit/finish, durability, and gassing (is the barrel over gassed?).
    Are you committed to one of the two barrels you have mentioned, or are you open to other barrel suggestions if they meet the needs of the rifle? I have no experience with White Oak barrels but have experience with several of the Centurion CHF barrels, though not the Recce barrel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. The heavier weight doesn’t bother me, in fact I prefer heavy profile barrels. They aren’t in stock, so I signed up to be notified when they are available again.

Did you go with the CLE or Wylde chamber on your barrel?
    Wylde chamber, 1/8 twist, mid-length gas system. I also opted for the CLE low profile stainless gas block, stainless gas tube, and Match bolt (inside a WMD NiB-X M16 Bolt Carrier ).
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Wylde chamber, 1/8 twist, mid-length gas system. I also opted for the CLE low profile stainless gas block, stainless gas tube, and Match bolt (inside a WMD NiB-X M16 Bolt Carrier ).
    How do you like the barrel? What kind of accuracy are you getting from it? Do you ever run it suppressed, if so is it over gassed?