View Poll Results: What aiming device(s) do you use most?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • Iron sights

17 7.08%
  • Red dot / holographic sight

149 62.08%
  • RDS/Holo plus magnifier

17 7.08%
  • 1-4x LPVO

16 6.67%
  • 1-6x LPVO

21 8.75%
  • =/> 1-8x LPVO

20 8.33%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What aiming device do you use on your primary rifle?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Unless it’s a familiarity (training) issue, this seems ass backwards to me.

NX8 for my do-all primary carbine.
    It all depends on the scenario you're most likely to encounter. Currently residing in the city, most of my immediate applications would likely be short range with an emphasis on speed. When I lived out in the country and had a little bit more leg room, I was much more likely to pick up something with magnification from the get go. That's also the reason they sit right next to each other; options.

Probably the biggest factor for me is dot brightness, or lack of. I know I didn't specify, but my 1-4x is an Accupoint TR24G. No battery to keep the reticle illuminated, just tritium and fiber optics. No batteries was actually a selling point for me when I bought it ten years ago, kinda funny that now I think that's its largest downside. While still manageable, there are times when the reticle isn't really illuminated. When aiming from a dark room into a bright one, or activating a WML at night, the normally bright green triangle turns into a black triangle on a stick. Doable, but not ideal, especially moving quickly. Between the weight reduction and illuminated dot, the T1 holds the edge in that environment. Out in the sticks and brush, and probable longer distances, sure, I'll take the Accupoint.

Is that also your NV rig? I remember your one gun solution thread, definitely learned a bunch on the NV side of things.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowCommand View Post
    Interesting, what RDS have you tried?
    So far I have purchased and used Trijicon MRO (still have 2 of these), EoTech XPS2, and Aimpoint T1. Could never get used to the "fuzzy" reticle of the EoTech, and once I "discovered" the Romeo 4T, the Aimpoint T series didn't seem to make sense $ wise to me. I sold the EoTech and Aimpoint, and currently run 2 Romeo 4T's and 2 MRO's. My other rifles have LPVO's. The 4T reticle is very sharp and clear, and can be switched to 4 different options. I prefer the red "circle of death" which is similar to the EoTech but crystal clear in the 4T. The 4T has a very heavy duty build quality at least equal to the MRO imho.

Feedback Score
    I’m near sighted as hell, so I have always preferred LPVO. When the illuminated reticle came out—I was pleased.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Not sure what I was expecting, but seeing more people use 1-4x than 1-6x was not it. Very interesting.
    How about as many users report using iron sights as 1-6x? Its an interesting poll.

Andy

Feedback Score
    I use an aimpoint with factory irons, sig romeo5 with troy backups, and a eotech with magpul steel buis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have an LPVO - a Steiner P4Xi - but I just couldn’t warm up to it and thus it’s not currently mounted on anything. I didn’t like how “clunky” it made the gun seem. What would then happen is I’d start trying to push it into a sort of DMR niche....which it isn’t designed for. And I hate the reticle, so that doesn’t help.

I have a bunch of ARs with just irons on them, and back when I could actually get range ammo I shot irons a lot, more than optics actually, and honestly I often preferentially grab one of those to throw in the jeep or something, the light weight and maneuverability is great. Most of them had no lights mounted either, but were set up to allow easy mounting of one of the lights I keep in the jeep if need be. But those were basically rifles for when I didn’t think I’d need a rifle. So while I became pretty confident with my iron sight proficiency if I needed to use them (honestly I’d be pretty comfortable using an iron sighted gun with a light for HD) if I knew I was grabbing a gun to address an actual potential problem I’d obviously take a red dot.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 01-14-21 at 08:21.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I train to excel inside of 50 yards.

Comp M4s.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The thread title and poll ask two different things. My primary rifle had an Aimpoint C3. But what I shoot most is Irons.
    Love the irons also, I have a Scalarworks fixed rear behind the Aimpoint C5. My eyes still handle the irons very well, and in the house with white light it makes no difference to me. I'm going to pull the Aimpoint for awhile just cause.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Aimpoint T2. I have Aimpoint micros on everything though, even my kid's M&P 15-22 has a T1 on it.

I have a magnifier that pairs well with the T2 but it doesn't stay on the rifle, it rides in the side pocket of my go bag.

Feedback Score
    -----------------------------
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 01-14-21 at 13:22.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast