View Poll Results: What aiming device(s) do you use most?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • Iron sights

17 7.08%
  • Red dot / holographic sight

149 62.08%
  • RDS/Holo plus magnifier

17 7.08%
  • 1-4x LPVO

16 6.67%
  • 1-6x LPVO

21 8.75%
  • =/> 1-8x LPVO

20 8.33%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What aiming device do you use on your primary rifle?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Current go to is an 11.5" with a Comp M5 in a Unity FAST Micro mount.

In the process of building a 12.5" with a Vortex Razor HD 1-6 Gen 2 with a piggyback RDS at 12:00. We'll see if that dethrones my 11.5" as my primary once it's done.. if Centurion Arms ever gets 12.5" barrels back in stock, that is..

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    burris mtac 1-4x. built like a tank, handles every abuse under the sun, huge fov, best lpvo out there imho

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    It all depends on the scenario you're most likely to encounter. Currently residing in the city, most of my immediate applications would likely be short range with an emphasis on speed. When I lived out in the country and had a little bit more leg room, I was much more likely to pick up something with magnification from the get go. That's also the reason they sit right next to each other; options.

Probably the biggest factor for me is dot brightness, or lack of. I know I didn't specify, but my 1-4x is an Accupoint TR24G. No battery to keep the reticle illuminated, just tritium and fiber optics. No batteries was actually a selling point for me when I bought it ten years ago, kinda funny that now I think that's its largest downside. While still manageable, there are times when the reticle isn't really illuminated. When aiming from a dark room into a bright one, or activating a WML at night, the normally bright green triangle turns into a black triangle on a stick. Doable, but not ideal, especially moving quickly. Between the weight reduction and illuminated dot, the T1 holds the edge in that environment. Out in the sticks and brush, and probable longer distances, sure, I'll take the Accupoint.

Is that also your NV rig? I remember your one gun solution thread, definitely learned a bunch on the NV side of things.
    I guess I assumed what your context was, but when you said "unspecified shit goin down", that means to me that you don’t know what range, how many targets, where you will be or will go, etc. for that, I want my do-all gun with me to cover all bases pretty well. If we’re talking a door kicked in and I know I’ll be fighting inside my own home, then yes, I’ll grab my rds gun.

Also, just cause you’re not in open desert doesn’t mean you won’t ever need magnification. Even at 75+ yds, if a dude is only exposing half his head and firing shoulder from behind a tree or corner of a building, I’d want magnification over a red dot to lay down accurate fire. It doesn’t have to be a 400yd engagement.

RE: NV - yes I have my 12.5” with NX8 set up for day/night use but I wouldn’t call it a dedicated NV gun, just NV capable. If I was going to do a dedicated night engagement, I’d grab the RDS gun with FAST mount and laser.

Feedback Score
    1-6x Razor with an RMR on a Reptilia mount.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Yea, I took it to mean current AO, what I'd grab right here, right now with no further info. Being inside my house... you get it. By your definition, which is really more true to the "unspecified" theme, I agree with everything you say.

Really, what we're talking about is multiple "primary" weapons set up for different situations. It's hard to define primary when that is dependent on the task at hand. And doubly so when I use loose terms such as unspecified to define those situations lol.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Feedback Score
    I consider irons my primary. I use optics as a secondary. My father always had irons on his hunting rifles with rings that allowed their use: I have kept this tradition. It is much more common to come across a game animal up close in my region, and most places of the world. I also like red dots with magnified optics.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In order of most use, not go-to war rifle.

MRO
    T1
    LPVO
    T2 with magnifier
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 01-15-21 at 03:16.

Feedback Score
    I have a Bedroom Colt Competition carbine with a HI-Lux RDS
    My go to Delton/Armalite 16" has a AimPoint PRO
    My 'Recon' Billet lower/Noveske 18" has a Leopold VXR 1.5-5x33mm Scout FireDot Duplex Scope, I had to copy the description to get it right.

Edit: The wife has a Anderson lower/Curt's upper with AimPoint PRO or a Daniels Defense DDM4 Version 3 with AimPoint PRO

AimPoint PRO is definitely our favorite RDS. We have some good smaller ones too on extra AR's

I should mention our AR-9 pistols, hers a Angstadt with Sightmark RDS, my PSA with Holosun RDS.
    Last edited by Pandaz3; 01-15-21 at 04:34. Reason: Forgot the wife;s

Feedback Score
    ACOG. That is what I trained on so that is what I stayed with, however, I see the value of my EOTECH for home defense. Out on the farm ACOG all day.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast