Thread: Computer Question for the Experts here

Feedback Score

Computer Question for the Experts here

I have a Dell Inspiron desktop which is @ 9 years old, running Windows 7. It is a dedicated computer connected via a 2.4 GHZ wireless connection to a solar powered weather station .8 mile from my house. It's for monitoring weather conditions out here. The computer runs 24/7/365, but I have it set to automatically reboot every 4 hours using after market software. The weather station and weather data logging is it's only function.

Recently I got the amber light of death on the desktop, and after some analysis, I figured out it was the power supply which went bad. Went to Albuquerque and picked up a replacement power supply, installed it, but the fan on this unit runs at a higher rpm and certainly moves the air. That isn't a bad thing, but I have the desktop in the room where the noise is objectionable. Thoughts on this.....should I keep the higher rpm and more noisy fan and power supply, or swap it out for a lesser unit? More air moving should make things last longer, but a lesser fan doesn't do the job as well.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Look into a higher quality unit that is quieter.

ETA
    Corsair RM550x
    10 yr warranty
    Low noise fan
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Look into a higher quality unit that is quieter.

ETA
    Corsair RM550x
    10 yr warranty
    Low noise fan
    This a quality Power supply will usually have a fan with silent mode which only runs when it is needed.

Especially for any mission Critical systems you want a good PSU.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    This a quality Power supply will usually have a fan with silent mode which only runs when it is needed.

Especially for any mission Critical systems you want a good PSU.
    Yeah, this is what I am finding out. First time I've ever replaced a PSU on a computer so when I bought a Dell compatible unit, I figured they're kind of a one size fits all deal. I'll just buy a higher end unit.
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Sir, why don't you get an up to date computer? Isn't the Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft? There is no patches, fix to the software should there be a glitch. I'm by no means a computer expert.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Sir, why don't you get an up to date computer? Isn't the Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft? There is no patches, fix to the software should there be a glitch. I'm by no means a computer expert.
    It's strictly a one purpose computer. No word processing, no internet use. Just strictly a device for being connected to a data logger via a USB cord and the data logger receives live weather data from a weather station. I can download the data to the computer and save the files in .pdf, excel spreadsheet, etc. Windows 7 works fine for it and no updates are needed for the system to perform the work I have it doing. We have a variety of computers here, mostly Windows 10, and one Windows 8.1.

The problem with that Dell started showing when I would power it down. You couldn't reboot it. However, if you unplugged the monitor, the USB cables, etc. and it would reboot. Connect everything and we'd be back running. Finally that stopped working. I thought it might be the motherboard. I changed the CMOS battery and that did no good, then noticed the fan wasn't working at all from the power supply. That's how I zeroed in on the power supply.
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    The older I get the more I realize that old things that actually still work are way better than trying to replace them with something that is more modern and supposedly better. Kind of like adding mods to guns. When I was younger I would screw around with a lot of stuff, now I just wanna keep stuff stock and simple as possible.
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 01-13-21 at 22:21.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    Yeah, this is what I am finding out. First time I've ever replaced a PSU on a computer so when I bought a Dell compatible unit, I figured they're kind of a one size fits all deal. I'll just buy a higher end unit.
    the Corsair that Clint Suggested is a good choice. I also like EVGA units a lot.

But I will say that the only concern is that some Dells use non standard connectors. Just make sure on yours.

Think of the PSU like the heart of the PC. If it is bad everything else can die, literally.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.