Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A more traditional rifle

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anyone shot a Bergara Premiere Ridgeback?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    My 20" .223W, just got another in (.308) as I have a 6.5 AI. ACC chassis. I went with Eric at Blue Mountain Precision. Both now have Area 419 Hellfire's and the .308 has the ESS chassis. They follow the 700 action footprint so you can do a Manners or McMillan, etc. also
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Forget about it, Taliv and Mark are rich. My kitchen floor isn't as nice as marks garage, much less his rifles. Those are some bad bad rifles guys.

To derail this thread, Mark does it bother you to have the scope that high? Great looking gun.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Forget about it, Taliv and Mark are rich. My kitchen floor isn't as nice as marks garage, much less his rifles. Those are some bad bad rifles guys.

To derail this thread, Mark does it bother you to have the scope that high? Great looking gun.

PB
    Haha, far from it! Not really, with my cheekpiece moved to the right and the height allows my pumpkin to be more erect. I could get along with the 1.26's but I think that's what I had laying around and made it work.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Called a local rifle maker today (Owens Armory) and chatted about building what I want. The lead gunsmith is going to call me back to go over the specifics and pricing. We'll see. I have a friend that has a few rifles from them, a couple long range hunting rigs and his PRS gun. Very nice rifles.

If not the custom route I think the Bergara Premiere Ridgeback is going to be the ticket
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I've gone the "I want a shorter, ligher more traditional rifle" that's lighter than an AI. With the exception of the chopped AW, every time I had to make several compromises and ended up with a still heavy-to-carry rifle that wasn't as good as an AI or as handy as say like a SAKO Finnlight...

Exhibit A:
    GAP Tempest (because I wanted AI feel and AW mag)

Exhibit B (just and AW with a shorter, Med Palma barrel:

Exhibit C:
    Impact 737 (have no idea what the hype is all about on this action...was very disappointed)

The Bergara's are good starter guns, but kinda..."meh" if you've been into custom stuff for a while.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Pointblank those are some damn good looking rifles.

I'm not looking for a light weight rifle, just something lighter than my AI. With the 7-35 ATACR, Spuhr mount, spigot mount, and bipod that thing is about 20 pounds. Plus it's bulky.

Don't get me wrong, I love my AI. But an easier to pack rifle would be nice at times. Plus I just like the looks of non chassis rifles a lot better.
    Last edited by C-grunt; 01-20-21 at 22:14.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm looking at either a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 or the Leupold Mk5 3.6-18. That'll help keep things compact and lighter.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    For 2K you can have a nice 700 built with a Bartlein, KRG Bravo stock (AI magazine), and Geissele trigger.

You stated you'd rather get away from a chassis, so something like a light-fill McMillan, Manners, or H-S should fit your bill.

A 26-inch 700 Varmint taper is going to be WAY lighter than an M24 or M40, both of which I equate to tractor axles and not particularly light to haul at Rocky Mountain altitudes.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Exhibit C:
    Impact 737 (have no idea what the hype is all about on this action...was very disappointed)
    https://i.imgur.com/tFXKivA.jpg?1
    Care to elaborate? The Hide community praises them.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast