Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: A more traditional rifle

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Well I paid for the APR Ranger today. In 12-16 weeks Ill let you guys know how the rifle is. This is my first "custom" rifle. Or I guess it's considered semi custom. Im excited.
    Good deal. After looking at the deficiencies of some of the standard offerings, I decided yesterday to go semi-custom. I really look forward to seeing how your build turns out.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Well I paid for the APR Ranger today. In 12-16 weeks Ill let you guys know how the rifle is. This is my first "custom" rifle. Or I guess it's considered semi custom. Im excited.
    You will be thoroughly satisfied with the Ranger. I love my APR Maverick! I can easily my groups less than half in with factory ammo.
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 05-23-21 at 10:43.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    You will be thoroughly satisfied with the Ranger. I love my APR Maverick! I can easily my groups less than half in with factory ammo.
    Thats awesome. Do you have any pictures of your rifle? What are the specs?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    When I ordered my Maverick I really like the one on their site and ordered mine just like that one. Only changes were the trigger and I had them installed their brake on the barrel. Mine is in 6.5PRC with a 24" barrel and the ratchet fluting. I had them cerakote the action and barrel in sniper grey. I don't know why but I can't upload photos.
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 05-24-21 at 10:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When I ordered my Maverick I really like the one on their site and ordered mine just like that one. Only changes were the trigger and I had them installed their brake on the barrel. Mine is in 6.5PRC with a 24" barrel and the ratchet fluting. I had them cerakote the action and barrel in sniper grey. I don't know why but I can't upload photos.
    That's a damn good looking rifle. Is that a VX-5 on it? Im planning on running a Mk5 on mine.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I had a VX6 on it. I switched it out for a NX8 4-32. All i can upload is the one with the VX6HD scope on the rifle. It does have a NX8 on it now. I like the NX8 better except the eye box is tight when the power is dialed up. I'll be shooting this rifle at a 1000 yard course the end of June. As is the farthest I've shot is out to 600 and can hit an 8" gong all day with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 05-24-21 at 11:11.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Only reason I didn't go with a Mk5 is that I like 2nd focal plane scopes, especially for hunting. Otherwise I would have been all over the Mk5. The VX6Hd is being moved to a 300WM that has a 20yr old VX3 on it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had a VX6 on it. I switched it out for a NX8 4-32. All i can upload is the one with the VX6HD scope on the rifle. It does have a NX8 on it now. I like the NX8 better except the eye box is tight when the power is dialed up. I'll be shooting this rifle at a 1000 yard course the end of June. As is the farthest I've shot is out to 600 and can hit an 8" gong all day with it.
    Youll have absolutely no problem out to 1000 with that accuracy and 6.5PRC. My 6.5 Creedmoor shooting 140 ELD-M at 2750 makes 1000 pretty easy. It starts getting sporty around 1300 yards.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I took this same course with a Rem 5R in 308 and it was pretty easy with that rifle. I haven't had the chance to shoot this one that far yet and the course came up again the end of June so I figured I'd take it and get the chance to shoot it out to 1000 and also work out my dope out that far. There is a range fairly close by that also goes out to a mile that I want to shoot at.

You will really like the APR Ranger. Only reason I didn't go with that one is the weight. I wanted more of a hunting rifle. Although I went back and forth for a long time on which one to get. Regardless APR makes a very nice rifle especially when you consider the cost compared to others out there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I took this same course with a Rem 5R in 308 and it was pretty easy with that rifle. I haven't had the chance to shoot this one that far yet and the course came up again the end of June so I figured I'd take it and get the chance to shoot it out to 1000 and also work out my dope out that far. There is a range fairly close by that also goes out to a mile that I want to shoot at.

You will really like the APR Ranger. Only reason I didn't go with that one is the weight. I wanted more of a hunting rifle. Although I went back and forth for a long time on which one to get. Regardless APR makes a very nice rifle especially when you consider the cost compared to others out there.
    I went back and forth between those two myself. My goal was to have a good solid target rifle that was lighter and handier than my AI. I wanted something easier to pack around the mountains here in Az but still was easily capable of 800 yards or more. I figured the Maverick was kind of in line with the old M40. The only real difference between the Maverick and the Ranger is the stock and the detachable magazine. Since Im not really a hunter I decided to go with the rifle that was more of a target rifle.

I think the price of these guns are really good. I got a quote for a very similar build from a local well known rifle maker and they quoted 3900 dollars. I called GA Precision and asked them about their 2500 dollar competition model but chamber it in 308. That was not an option. If I was okay with a chassis for this rifle I could get a pretty nice rifle from several places for 2000-2500 dollars. But I like the look and feel of a traditional style stock.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast