Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: A more traditional rifle

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    double
    Last edited by C-grunt; 05-24-21 at 21:24.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I went back and forth between those two myself. My goal was to have a good solid target rifle that was lighter and handier than my AI. I wanted something easier to pack around the mountains here in Az but still was easily capable of 800 yards or more. I figured the Maverick was kind of in line with the old M40. The only real difference between the Maverick and the Ranger is the stock and the detachable magazine. Since Im not really a hunter I decided to go with the rifle that was more of a target rifle.

I think the price of these guns are really good. I got a quote for a very similar build from a local well known rifle maker and they quoted 3900 dollars. I called GA Precision and asked them about their 2500 dollar competition model but chamber it in 308. That was not an option. If I was okay with a chassis for this rifle I could get a pretty nice rifle from several places for 2000-2500 dollars. But I like the look and feel of a traditional style stock.
    So last weekend I shot my Maverick at the 1000 yard course. It has a NX8 4-32 on it in SFP. We shot 100 rounds over the weekend anywhere from 300 to 1000 yards. I'm shooting 6.5PRC and had no issues at all. Actually I only missed 4 targets all weekend. 2 at 900 and 2 at 1000. Last day we had a shoot off and had to work out way out to 1000 hitting silohuettes and then small plates at each 100 yard interval. Pretty easy until you hit 800. You had 5 rounds to hit both to move on. It came down to myself and another guy. We both hit the large plate and then the 10" plate at 1000 with our 1st 2 shots. The only other guy with us fell out. So as a tie breaker the instructor made us switch guns. This guy was shooting a Ruger RPR with a Millett scope. That scope sucked and his RPR wasn't set up for me at all. I still managed to hit the 10" plate 3 times and he hit it 4 times.

The Alamo Maverick easily handled the weekend. I really like the NX8. Eye box is tight especially at 32X. Your Ranger will easily handle anything long range! One thing I noticed with mine. I was shooting 147gr ELD-M. At 100 yards when we did tracking tests and checking zero each day I could barely keep .75" groups. However the farther out the better the groups. At 500 yards I had a group come in easily less than 3". I also shot a 1000 yard 3 shot group that came in a hair less than 6". These guns shoot! I almost which I had gotten the Ranger instead, mainly for the long range side of things. I can do it with my Maverick but now that I've taken it out to a 1000 I want to go farther. I have a range nearby that has a Mile UKD and a Mile KD range. That's really going to push the capabilities of the Maverick and maybe even the cartridge.

So with all of that being said you are really going to enjoy the Ranger! I'm definitely going to be interested in hearing about it once you get some time behind it!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I emailed APR about my rifle build and found out that their main barrel supplier, Muller Works, is backlogged right now. They gave me an option of changing to a Bartlein 5r barrel for a very minimal upcharge. I jumped on it.

Ive heard that Muller makes a great barrel, but Ive never used one. However Ive used a Bartlein on multiple occasions and they have all shot great. So Im a bit more excited about the rifle now.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I emailed APR about my rifle build and found out that their main barrel supplier, Muller Works, is backlogged right now. They gave me an option of changing to a Bartlein 5r barrel for a very minimal upcharge. I jumped on it.

Ive heard that Muller makes a great barrel, but Ive never used one. However Ive used a Bartlein on multiple occasions and they have all shot great. So Im a bit more excited about the rifle now.
    Solid call amigo. All mine have shot lights out.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    yep. i can't even remember the last time i bought a barrel that wasn't a bartlein. it's been a while!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Checking in to see if you got your rifle yet?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Got the call from Alamo Precision yesterday and the rifle is getting shipped to my FFL this week. Apparently my Muller barrel arrived right after my email with their CS so I didnt end up with the Bartlein, that's fine by me as long as the Muller barrel shoots. Which from all accounts Ive heard, thy shoot very well. Im very excited.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Alamo has expanded their line up of rifles. I'm looking at the Ranger with the adjustable stock.

Can't wait to see yours. My barrel is a Muller barrel and it is a shooter.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456