Thread: EPM magazine experience and a torn case.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

EPM magazine experience and a torn case.

I ended up with 5 of the (relatively) new Center Industries EPM mags so I tried ‘em out today.

I only had my only non-Colt AR today which is a complete BCM.

These mags would not lock in on a closed bolt. Not even downloaded to 28.

They all fed and locked back just fine when loaded from the bolt open.

The carrier is dragging on the feedlips and actually damaged them a little bit. Not sure what to do with these mags. I’ve always had good luck with Center mags in the past.

This BCM is not mag picky at all, I usually use some old Okay green follower mags and never had an issue with those mags, any make of GI tan follower mags, or any type of Pmag.

Anyone else try these mags and notice the same?

I also had a case tear on a round of Q3131. Been a long time since I had to mortar an AR. The back half of the torn case case ejected fine, and the next round fed right into the remaining half. I have heard of this type of malfunction but never experienced it myself.

Some pics.

Last edited by 17K; 01-14-21 at 21:17.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would dress the top edge of the mag catch slot. Try one to see how it goes. The only time I did that was with those British SA80 mags that came in in the early 90's or so.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Haven't used those, but not surprising.

One goal of the mags was to present the round higher on the feed ramps.

Looks like they over did it on these samples.

BTW, PMAGs accomplish this goal by flexing of the feed lips during feeding and then springing back to avoid dragging on the carrier.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Interesting. I didn’t know Pmags flexed during the feed cycle.

I’ve used Pmags off and on since ‘08 and they’ve been mostly ok. I really like the current Gen M3 mags and think they’re probably the best AR mag to date.
    Last edited by 17K; 01-17-21 at 20:49.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've seen hundreds of those mags in use down range since 15'. Haven't seen any issues as described. Suggest you line up a good mag for your rifle and those EPM magazines and compare the feedlips height, length etc.

As far as the case separation, I've repaired that in .30 Carbine, PKM, BREN MkII, Mk44 Miniguns, AKs and M2 Brownings. Keep ruptured case extractors in my tool bag or pieces of wood. Drive the wood into the chamber then punch out with a cleaning rod.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This one jammed the next round down into the torn off case hard enough that they came out together with a light mortaring.

This lower and upper have always been fine with old green and tan follwer mags and all hens of Pmags, so I guess these Centers are a little long between the mag catch slot and the feedlips.

I’ll try the mags in a Colt next and see how they work.