Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
Good thing it had that pop / synth sound with carefully blended lyrics and crazy new wave imagery or it would have never played on Mtv or radio. I remember making my friends actually listen for the words and it used to blow their damn minds.

Of course we were the generation who were gonna Red Dawn the Russians if they ever got here, were fully prepared to take on cyborgs from the future and all of that. Even if we were overly naive about our capabilities, there was no question of if we were gonna fight...but how we were gonna fight even if we ended up starting as the underdogs.

They talk about propaganda, but early mid 80s it was there and it wasn't communists they were trying to create. As kids The Waltons and Little House was our basic standard of normality, by high school we really thought we might be carrier pilots if we only applied ourselves and drove our motorcycles recklessly. Even the left was in on it to an extent, I know more than a few people who joined the military after too many viewing of "Stripes" and that was Harold Ramis and Bill Murray for god sakes.

But that was just the mentality of the time.
I literally just added this to my playlist last week after having forgotten about it for many years. That and a lot of blues music. Seemed appropriate for the times we find ourselves in.