Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Patriotism

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    I'm less a fan of Trump today than I was a month ago. And a month ago it wasn't like I was a super fan or anything, I was mostly voting to block.

In 2016 I voted FOR Trump, and it was so nice to actually vote FOR a person again. In 2020 I voted against Biden. Trump had four years, did some court appointments that I hope keep things normal for awhile and a few other things that satisfied my minimum expectations, but he dropped the ball more than a few times and generally failed to live up to what he could have been.
    I voted against Hillary, I felt and feel Rubio was a much better candidate than Donald Trump. DT was a much better president than I expected, I will say.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Fake potus bidet
    Joe Bidet, Joe Xiden, are ways to use Cancel Culture to cancel this product of election fraud.

I worked Ronald Reagan's 1976 campaign in New Mexico. My Mom was campaign co-chair in this State for Reagan and I had dinner with Reagan in a private home in Santa Fe in May 1976. I was pissed when Ron lost the nomination to Ford at the convention due to back door dealing. For a short time after that, this 16 year old became a political vandal.

I had 500 bumper stickers printed up - they were white with black letters and the message was geared against Jimmy Carter. In every restaurant in Santa Fe or Albuquerque which had nicer restrooms featuring the stainless steel seat cover dispensers, I put my bumper sticker. Did the same visiting cousins in San Diego that late Summer of 1976 - Hotels like the US Grant Hotel, the El Cortez and restaurants like Anthony's Fish Grotto on Harbor Blvd. Every paper toilet seat cover dispenser I could find had a sticker with the following message:

Free Carter Campaign Hats
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    Joe Bidet, Joe Xiden, are ways to use Cancel Culture to cancel this product of election fraud.

I worked Ronald Reagan's 1976 campaign in New Mexico. My Mom was campaign co-chair in this State for Reagan and I had dinner with Reagan in a private home in Santa Fe in May 1976. I was pissed when Ron lost the nomination to Ford at the convention due to back door dealing. For a short time after that, this 16 year old became a political vandal.

I had 500 bumper stickers printed up - they were white with black letters and the message was geared against Jimmy Carter. In every restaurant in Santa Fe or Albuquerque which had nicer restrooms featuring the stainless steel seat cover dispensers, I put my bumper sticker. Did the same visiting cousins in San Diego that late Summer of 1976 - Hotels like the US Grant Hotel, the El Cortez and restaurants like Anthony's Fish Grotto on Harbor Blvd. Every paper toilet seat cover dispenser I could find had a sticker with the following message:

Free Carter Campaign Hats
    EVERY damn time you speak- I likes you more & more. Bless you Sir.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    EVERY damn time you speak- I likes you more & more. Bless you Sir.
    I was always a current events junkie, even as a teenager. That bi-centennial year was busy for me. Reagan came for a campaign rally and fund raising dinner in a private home. My mom was an organizer as part of his campaign. I was offered a chance to attend the private home dinner if I helped out. Helping out meant I received 300 wooden sticks and 300 blue signs which said: "This is Reagan Country". I had to staple the signs to the sticks and be responsible for dispensing them at the event. Easy gig and got me a dinner with the former governor of California. I sat next to him on his right. I was the youngest person in the room.

For me Reagan was impressive. He was a booster for America - a cheerleader for our Federal Republic and American Exceptionalism. I liked what he said. American Patriotism for me wasn't something I learned, but I seemed to have a natural knack for it. That Summer was busy because I was also a Boy Scout, working on his Eagle Scout. For 4 weeks in July 1976 (including the 4th), I was with my Boy Scout Troop at then Arches National Monument, Moab, Utah. We worked marking hiking trails and restocking port-a-potties with paper, and doing general clean up. One of the best 4 weeks I ever spent.
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    I was always a current events junkie, even as a teenager. That bi-centennial year was busy for me. Reagan came for a campaign rally and fund raising dinner in a private home. My mom was an organizer as part of his campaign. I was offered a chance to attend the private home dinner if I helped out. Helping out meant I received 300 wooden sticks and 300 blue signs which said: "This is Reagan Country". I had to staple the signs to the sticks and be responsible for dispensing them at the event. Easy gig and got me a dinner with the former governor of California. I sat next to him on his right. I was the youngest person in the room.

For me Reagan was impressive. He was a booster for America - a cheerleader for our Federal Republic and American Exceptionalism. I liked what he said. American Patriotism for me wasn't something I learned, but I seemed to have a natural knack for it. That Summer was busy because I was also a Boy Scout, working on his Eagle Scout. For 4 weeks in July 1976 (including the 4th), I was with my Boy Scout Troop at then Arches National Monument, Moab, Utah. We worked marking hiking trails and restocking port-a-potties with paper, and doing general clean up. One of the best 4 weeks I ever spent.
    Ive said ever since & will until I die- I am SO PROUD to have been in the USMC under him...I genuinely loved him, even if I disagreed on a couple things with him. We woulda walked thru Hell in gasoline drawers for him.
    I watch clips of him from time to time, just to remember, and...well, just remember.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Ive said ever since & will until I die- I am SO PROUD to have been in the USMC under him...I genuinely loved him, even if I disagreed on a couple things with him. We woulda walked thru Hell in gasoline drawers for him.
    I watch clips of him from time to time, just to remember, and...well, just remember.
    One disappointment I have is I commissioned under Carter, not under Reagan. His re-build of the US military was key to me joining the 160th SOAR in June 1983. They were in a building phase after losing pilots to crashes, etc. and were in the process of becoming a genuine special operations aviation unit. I kind of got in on the ground floor so to speak.
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I am incredibly proud my retirement letter and my wife's appreciation letter were signed by President Bush, not his successor. The coin I received from SMA Preston was a nice surprise too.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have posted here before some thoughts about my core beliefs on patriotism.

A cornerstone of my beliefs is that the Declaration of Independence founded our Nation. I am, and always will be, loyal to my country.

The Constitution is only the foundation of our current (remember the Articles of Confederation) government. I've never felt any allegiance to my government. The government owes allegiance to us, we the people.

Once the government isn't "of the people, by the people, and for the people," that's when we get ourselves a new one, by any means necessary, as our Founding Fathers did.
    Last edited by LMT Shooter; 01-17-21 at 22:02.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMT Shooter View Post

A cornerstone of my beliefs is that the Declaration of Independence founded our Nation. I am, and always will be, loyal to my country.

The Constitution is only the foundation of our current (remember the Articles of Confederation) government. I've never felt any allegiance to my government. The government owes allegiance to us, we the people.

Once the government isn't for us, that's when we get ourselves a new one, by any means necessary, as our Founding Fathers did.
    Excellent post.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMT Shooter View Post

Once the government isn't "of the people, by the people, and for the people," that's when we get ourselves a new one, by any means necessary, as our Founding Fathers did.
    Amen sir.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast