Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XM1158 7.62mm cartridge

Feedback Score

XM1158 7.62mm cartridge

This is the new, more bestest armor-piercing round. Looking at the publicly available FY21 budget documents, the Army is paying $16.14 per round for 1,315,931 rounds in this fiscal year.. From what I've read, this is a tungsten-cored projectile and thus a little more expensive.

Supposedly this is qualified for use in precision rifles but I would think that it wouldn't be capable of match accuracy - or not?

https://www.dote.osd.mil/Portals/97/...U27CoHAQ%3d%3d
    Last edited by Slater; 01-15-21 at 19:17.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    This is the new, more bestest armor-piercing round. Looking at the publicly available FY21 budget documents, the Army is paying $16.14 per round for 1,315,931 rounds in this fiscal year.. From what I've read, this is a tungsten-cored projectile and thus a little more expensive.

Supposedly this is qualified for use in precision rifles but I would think that it wouldn't be capable of match accuracy - or not?

https://www.dote.osd.mil/Portals/97/...U27CoHAQ%3d%3d
    I have no comment except to say "To perforate operationally relevant targets." is the reason I will provide to anyone who asks me why I own/shoot/like guns now.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That's a major advance for Abrams Tanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    " When that little bell rings another General gets his wings ".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    " When that little bell rings another General gets his wings ".
    We would get the signal as to how many and the direction of targets from the grunts, load a HEAT round and jump in to intersection guns blazing, it would be nice to know the 7.62 is penetrating more than just RPG Teams as the grunts ran beside us.
    There is a lot of good stuff happens in recon by fire. Some folks admonish those who expend more rounds than expected. I would rather carry ammo than dead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That looks like the round that I saw some mil contractors testing and making a promotional video for a little over a year ago. Obviously I was not involved so I dont have good info, but they asked if they could use the bay I was on to help them get the correct distance for their video.

That round went through an armored vehicle side skirt at 300 yards, fired from an AR10.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    $16 and change each can never replace .50 cal at a 5th of the price for real Recon by Fire !

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    $16 and change each can never replace .50 cal at a 5th of the price for real Recon by Fire !
    I would agree, for years I railed on about how there should be a M2 mounted coaxially rather than an M240.
    While in the field, the last thing a guy should do is align his M2 with the main gun tube at 1000 meter. Lock it down and then fire it like a coax, but making the elevation corrections manually from inside. if you are staked in correctly in the defense, just the M2 barrel protrudes.
    Of course they put a "CROWS" up there now to totally "F" it all up.

Feedback Score
    If we ever get a .338 Norma belt fed issued and fielded that will be a hell of an upgrade to vehicle mounted medium MG’s. Bet it would make for a sweetheart of a co-ax.

Feedback Score
    I saw a fair amount of M80A1 for sale late 2019 early 2020 but at $6-8 a pop I wouldn't touch it. At twice the price I wouldn't touch this either.

Tungsten ain't "magic sauce". It is a good hard metal, with good ballistic weight. AP to beat level 4 armor is expensive to manufacture and field, so sniper AP ammo (limited use ammo) makes a lot of sense.

Tungsten is taking the market instead of depleted uranium. The toxic effects of DU are probably overblown, but the politics are pushing (also toxic) tungsten.

The push against DU towards W (tungsten) comes largely from China, Russia, and environmental groups. Couldn't have anything to do with China producing almost all of the world's W. Russia is #2. US (and all other) production is near zero. Strip mining is green as long as it's in China don't you know. Same reason almost 100% of solar panels are made in China, too "dirty" to mine or make them here. Well just send them all our money and let them kindly take care of us.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast