Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Reticle? Vortex Razor G2 4-27

Feedback Score

Which Reticle? Vortex Razor G2 4-27

Looking to buy one of these soon to get into PRS (if ammo ever becomes available).
    Options are:
    -EBR 7C
    -Horus H56
    -Horus TreMor 3

I have zero long range experience at this point and want to buy once. The Horus reticles look too busy to me, but I dont know.
    Which reticle is the best for practical long range shooting/PRS competitions? I'll be shooting a 6.5 CM if it matters.

Feedback Score
    All 3 reticles are similar and it comes down to which has more features that suit your needs.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by omegajb; 01-18-21 at 10:50.

Feedback Score
    the horus stuff, particularly tremor3, is popular with some groups, including some well regarded mil units. some of the best shooters I know (much better than myself) like it. it obviously CAN work, and work quickly. my opinion is that to use it effectively, you'd prob want to take a class and train with it a lot until it really clicks, then practice regularly. and to really get the full value, shoot with other dudes who use it, so you can communicate similarly. probably a stupid comparison, but it reminds me of the old firefox movie where the pilot has to think in russian.

that said, i hate it. i prefer reticles like NF's mil-r or mil-xt. my brain processes mil math quickly and without a lot of drama. and i find it easy to communicate in mils with others. everyone in PRS-land will understand what you mean when you talk mover leads and wind calls in mils. you can do this with the tremor3, but it's not how it wants you to behave.

i'd strongly recommend a normal reticle unless you research and understand how to use all those wack horus dots, and mentally work through the process of shooting with them and convince yourself you'll do that faster with than without.

imagine a moving chaos stage, where you have to alternate between shooting a target moving and static targets at different distances, with a constant wind, and the moving target will reverse direction at least once while you're shooting, so you'll have to add and subtract the wind to the mover lead, and shoot the static targets with just the wind and no lead, obviously.

make up some distances and mover speed and wind speed. now make a stage card using the ebr7 reticle and the tremor3 reticle. now ghost the stage in your head both dialing turrets and not dialing turret. then pretend your buddy asks your wind and mover hold and you want to verbalize what you did.

do that with 3 or 4 sets of distances and speeds and you'll have a pretty good idea which reticle you want.
    Last edited by taliv; 01-17-21 at 19:16.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a Tremor 3 in a NF NX8. It’s easy to learn and there is a ton of info on it. To some it’s pretty busy, it was to me at first, I’m still learning as I am new to LR shooting. I have it on a Tikka T3 6.5 CM, 18” barrel. I’ve hit steel out to 1150 yards. From everything I’ve seen, it’s also a $500 up charge for the Horus reticle. The EBR7C MRAD reticle, is great and the Vortex glass is really nice and their warranty is second to none. I’ve seen them for $1700 on Snipers Hide.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    All 3 reticles are similar and it comes down to which scope brand you want to purchase.

If I'm not mistaken the EBR7c is only on Vortex optics while the Horus is available from multiple scope manufacturers.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    LOL. Did you even the thread title?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I went from T3 to MIL-XT because I didn’t want to pay the price of admission again. Once you learn the MPH of your gun, it’s easy to calculate and memorize.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    the horus stuff, particularly tremor3, is popular with some groups, including some well regarded mil units. some of the best shooters I know (much better than myself) like it. it obviously CAN work, and work quickly. my opinion is that to use it effectively, you'd prob want to take a class and train with it a lot until it really clicks, then practice regularly. and to really get the full value, shoot with other dudes who use it, so you can communicate similarly. probably a stupid comparison, but it reminds me of the old firefox movie where the pilot has to think in russian.

that said, i hate it. i prefer reticles like NF's mil-r or mil-xt. my brain processes mil math quickly and without a lot of drama. and i find it easy to communicate in mils with others. everyone in PRS-land will understand what you mean when you talk mover leads and wind calls in mils. you can do this with the tremor3, but it's not how it wants you to behave.

i'd strongly recommend a normal reticle unless you research and understand how to use all those wack horus dots, and mentally work through the process of shooting with them and convince yourself you'll do that faster with than without.

imagine a moving chaos stage, where you have to alternate between shooting a target moving and static targets at different distances, with a constant wind, and the moving target will reverse direction at least once while you're shooting, so you'll have to add and subtract the wind to the mover lead, and shoot the static targets with just the wind and no lead, obviously.

make up some distances and mover speed and wind speed. now make a stage card using the ebr7 reticle and the tremor3 reticle. now ghost the stage in your head both dialing turrets and not dialing turret. then pretend your buddy asks your wind and mover hold and you want to verbalize what you did.

do that with 3 or 4 sets of distances and speeds and you'll have a pretty good idea which reticle you want.
    Is the ebr 7c a "normal" reticle?

Feedback Score
    By normal I simply meant graduated in MILs or moa. Like hashes or gaps at 1 mil, .5 mil .2 etc. so yes

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    By normal I simply meant graduated in MILs or moa. Like hashes or gaps at 1 mil, .5 mil .2 etc. so yes
    Understood, thanks

Feedback Score
    I sent you a PM. I like the EBR reticles as they offer enough information for quick holds. However, if I were to opt into added complexity of the Horus (and truly commit to that system), I would go with the Tremor 3. It's a pretty awesome reticle. But I think that's the rub... the Horus won't do you any good unless you really commit to learning the system. And then put it to practical application on a regular basis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast