Thread: Help with multiple rifle configurations

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Help with multiple rifle configurations

Hi all, not new to AR’s but have been switching things up a bit lately primarily due to entering the NFA realm.

Primary rifle has been a PSA Premium/FN 14.5” upper on a lower I built with upgraded parts, it has a fixed FSP, Midwest drop in handguard, and Sig Romeo 5 sight. Have > 1,000 rounds with it and no significant issues.

I’ve got a Dead Air Sandman-S and Wolfman in suppressor jail, so I’ve been putting together an SBR upper using a Geissele stripped receiver, Sionics ERGP 11.5” barrel and BCG, Midwest free float handguard, and running an A5 buffer setup. Have an Aimpoint PRO on order for it also. This will most likely be run 100% suppressed with the Sandman-S.

This has driven me to upgrade my carbine, so I’ve swapped in a Geissele stripped upper, Sionics BCG, and A5 buffer also, basically matching the 11.5”. What I’m struggling with is what optic to run on it, either another Aimpoint PRO or a LPVO.

I’ve also got a Recce type/precision build with a Larue Stealth 14.5” barrel, Magpul UBR stock, and Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4 illuminated scope. I’m considering pulling a Mark AR 3-9 with illumination off another rifle and putting it on that Recce setup, then running the 1.5-4 on my carbine.

Issue is I’m not huge on running the scope with the FSP, and I also prefer the newer Midwest rails to the drop in I have. Is it worth removing everything, running a low pro gas block, free float rail, and scope? The pinned and welded flash hider isn’t a major issue as I need to swap the A2X out for a Dead Air Flash hider at some point anyways. Other option is to leave it as is, put another Aimpoint on top, and just keep using the Recce when I want magnification.

Basically what I’m getting at is given 11.5” and 14.5” carbines set up mostly identically, would you rather have one with a red dot and one with a scope, or red dots on both? Thanks for any help navigating this headache.
    Last edited by Gatorgrizz27; 01-17-21 at 07:42.