Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with multiple rifle configurations

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Go-to for me means it’s a bump in the night or self defense tool.

Red dot for me.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'd keep a RDS on the 11.5 and not change that for bump in the night
    LPVO on the 14.5 for varmits...more likely to be at distance

my three main sticks are 11.5 BCM with T1, 16" S&W with 4x acog (fsb does not interfere), and a 14.5" with carry handle and fsb.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The Leupold will be a disappointment with the 1.5 rather than a true 1X.
    In my eyes using it is making due rather than choosing the correct tool for the job.
    Yeah the Mark AR series is 'meh'.

Feedback Score
    I would put RDS on both and get used to and familiar with the one system. Unless you are planning on doing some varmint hunting, then a scope might be useful on the longer AR.
    Last edited by GHMann; 01-18-21 at 09:36.

Feedback Score
    I did rds on 11.5 and lpvo on a 14.5.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input. Somehow it just dawned on me that I can simply swap the upper on that has the scope mounted and shoot it back to back with the red dot equipped upper to see how I like it. I was thinking I’d have to pull it off, mount it, zero it, and then imagine how it would be without a FSB in the way.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    You certainly can, but don't kid yourself that 1.5x is anything like 1x.

It's a lot different using a quality 1x LPVO than a 1.5x.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Using a 1-4x or 1-6x on your 14.5 gives you a lot of flexibility, and I would tend to go that route.

However, and its a big one, no one really knows what you needs or uses are, which makes it hard for us to give solid answers that will work for you. If you eyes are like eagles, maybe a RDO is the end all answer for you. If you already have a RDO for both, maybe a magnifier is the answer for your needs. If you have an astigmatism (which a lot more people do than they know), a LPVO becomes an easy answer. Then again, maybe the answer is a 2.5-10 or 3-9 is a better answer if you enjoy shooting at distance. If the longest range you have around you for shooting is 50 yard, that changes things compared to having a 500 yard KD range in your backyard.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Figured I’d update this, as well as roll in another question. I haven’t had time to do any comparison drills with a red dot vs the 1-4x Leupold, but I did shoot it out to 400 yards on the rifle it’s currently mounted on (Recce type 14.5), and it did fine on steel so I may leave it alone. Played with it some inside the house and I agree that the 1.5x low end causes some issues up close, not sure how far out that goes away but I’m guessing 10-15 yards.

The Aimpoint PRO I ordered showed up and I’m pretty sure it’s going to end up living on my 14.5” with the FSB still intact, I like the “bulletproof ness” of that gun and don’t feel like swapping everything around, it’s proven at this point.

So that leaves the 11.5” SBR still needing an optic. I’m worried about bulk and weight with another PRO on there, so I’m considering a Trijicon MRO instead. I know a lot of people are fans of them, but they “might” be considered a step below the Aimpoints in terms of durability and they can have more significant parallax.

I’ve looked at the Aimpoint T2’s but am having a hard time spending the extra $300, and I’m not sure I’ll like the smaller FOV. Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    MRO’s are fine. Aimpoint T-2/H-2 are technically better in one area at least, parallax, but I happen to like the effect of the MRO’s larger objective lens and the substantially lower cost enough to compromise on the MRO.

Though I regret selling a CompM3, I have never really seen any appeal to the PRO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast