Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Installing trigger guard - what punches do I need?

Feedback Score
    Parallel Pliers like Knipex are not optimal. The good ones cost more than the right tools for the job.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have one broken ear way back from not knowing what I was doing. Lesson learnt. Support it in the right areas. Have installed plenty now and have never boogered the surface, no tape needed. Nobody needs to swing a hammer, light taps with a little lube on the pin, pin hole and a roll pin starter punch and you are good to go. Once started, short sharp strikes with the punch drive it in with no fuss. It’s not that hard to do. Just be methodical.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    * warning *

Inexperienced stupid sh#t follows.

Had the lower supported and correct punches ready. Oiled everything good, installed trigger guard on mag side where the detent pin goes and pivoted it out of the way (mistake).

Tapped the roll pin and was slow-but-steady driving it through when I realized - oh crap. I forgot to pivot the TG into place.

Roll pin was about 1/4 way through. Flipped receiver over and supported the ear, and drove the roll pin back out just enough to slide the trigger guard into place. Resumed tap/tap/tapping it through.

Trigger guard installed (KAC) and it looks ok, but if it try to depress the detent pin and see if it moves freely, it won’t budge. It’s in there tight on that side.

I have been told never to re-use a roll pin. Once I realized my goof, would it have been a better idea just to drive the pin out out and start over with a fresh new roll pin?

Apologies for the retarded questions.
    Last edited by Buncheong; 02-14-21 at 17:41.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Pics ...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Pics ...

Looks good to me. The reason it won't pivot is because that's likely a non pivotinting trigger guard. A lot of the extended trigger guards aren't designed to pivot as they figure there's enough room in there for a gloved finger.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I use taped over channel locks. Start big and give a little squeeze. Next notch in, squeeze, next notch... till flush with the receiver. Use a punch to get that little bit more to seat pin below the hole.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Pics ...

Damn. You ruined that rifle for sure with that work. Forget about ever being able to get warranty service on it either. The factory is going to spot those alterations and you will be hosed.

I am feeling generous though and don't mind beater guns at all. Will give you 20 bucks for it to take it off your hands but you will need to cover the shipping. I may be generous but I am not stupid! LOL!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234