Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing trigger guard - what punches do I need?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Installing trigger guard - what punches do I need?

There are two as I recall, a starter and then another.

Don’t own anything but a Glock punch, and will need to order these for my OEM Colt.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by Buncheong; 01-18-21 at 10:23.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I just picked one of these sets up:

https://www.wheelertools.com/gunsmit...6.html#start=1

It comes with most all of the punches to put together an AR, and a special tool for the trigger guard that presses the pin in, instead of hammering on the ears.

Feedback Score

Installing TG - what punches do I need?

For an AR, if you’re only doing the trigger group (that’s what I guess you meant by TG - my apologies if I guessed wrong), you really don’t need any punches to install either the trigger pin or hammer pin. In fact, trying to pound them in may damage your receiver.
    Just work the direction of the pin by pushing the hammer or trigger until it pushes in by hand. The pins are meant to slide in easily (placing a coin against the pin and pressing the coin can help) and the springs operate against grooves in the pins to prevent them from sliding through and out. Just make sure the legs snap into the grooves and you’ve got the springs installed correctly.
    Where a long pin or punch can help is to hold everything aligned while starting either pin, but I’ve never needed that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Steve Shannon; 01-18-21 at 04:49.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    While a picture or two may help in regards to the hammer pin install, try this

If you need something to push with, use any plastic object to simply start or finish the pins. The trigger pin can simply be pushed in, insuring the disconnecter is aligned. Once the trigger/disco is installed, the hammer/pin.

Make sure the spring is oriented properly, lay the legs over the trigger pin, start the hammer pin(I like from the left) press it in until stops against the inner wall of the lower on the right side STOP!
    Now take your left hand, take the thumb and place it behind and under the hammer hook, you notice the nice scalloped area? Take you point finger and place into the mag well, using those two digits as they are(pincers) pinch together as you look at the hammer pin from the right side and you will see it align with the hole, use your right point finger to press it in as you pinch the hammer downward and toward mag well.
    Once you do this, correctly, you will see it's easy as a cheap date-you just need to get there

What will help is when doing the hammer pin, start with the smooth end of the pin so you don't have to bypass the J spring with one of the retaining rings of the pin.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You don’t need punches for trigger and hammer pins. Get ‘em most of the way in and just tap ‘em the rest of the way with the back end of a plastic screwdriver handle, preferably rounded.

I highly recommend using a trigger guard roll pin press for the trigger guard roll pin. I got a Little Crow one years ago and it was worth every penny.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Please accept my humble apology - I meant to say trigger guard. My carbine came without one (Colt OEM).

I apologize for the confusion, my choice of “TG” in the title was a poor one.

Feedback Score
    A pair of Knipex pliers works good for the trigger guard.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Please accept my humble apology - I meant to say trigger guard. My carbine came without one (Colt OEM).

I apologize for the confusion, my choice of “TG” in the title was a poor one.
    Which Colt did you buy a OEM1 or OEM2? Thats the only Colts I know of that dont come with trigger Guards.

As someone mentioned Little Crow pusher works great (I have one also) but may be pricey for just 1 install. The Knipex pliars works great also, have those.

I find that Stainless Steel spiral roll pins work better that old steel split pins, easier to install.

Feedback Score
    Wheeler makes an awesome product for installing trigger guard. Buy it and never use a punch again to install a trigger guard.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I'm not sure what the aversion is with trigger guard roll pin, I've never had an issue using a 1/8" roll pin holder to start the pin and 1/8" roll pin punch to drive it home. Installing the grip, even temporarily, will prevent rolling over the lower and snapping the ear off.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast