Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cal king beds

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Cal king beds

For those who have beds this size, do you use a foundation or twin box springs? I have the box springs but I think it has led to having to replace the mattress four times in less that two years ( thank goodness for 10 year warranty) the mattress always ends up sinking down on each side with a high spot in the middle. Neither the wife are heavy people, and these are quality mattress’. I’m considering just buying some plywood from home depot and wrapping it in an old sheet to protect the mattress from the wood and see if that helps keep the current mattress from being destroyed. The mattress company sends a guy to inspect the mattress, frame and box springs every time and says the frame and box springs are in perfect condition but that’s the only thing I can think of causing the issue. Our little boy sleeps between us which probably exasperates the problem by keeping us to the edges of the bed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My house ain’t big enough for one!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
    For those who have beds this size, do you use a foundation or twin box springs? I have the box springs but I think it has led to having to replace the mattress four times in less that two years ( thank goodness for 10 year warranty) the mattress always ends up sinking down on each side with a high spot in the middle. Neither the wife are heavy people, and these are quality mattress’. I’m considering just buying some plywood from home depot and wrapping it in an old sheet to protect the mattress from the wood and see if that helps keep the current mattress from being destroyed. The mattress company sends a guy to inspect the mattress, frame and box springs every time and says the frame and box springs are in perfect condition but that’s the only thing I can think of causing the issue. Our little boy sleeps between us which probably exasperates the problem by keeping us to the edges of the bed.
    I have a cali king and I made a platform for it myself.

My wife has acid reflux pretty regularly and she had extreme acid reflux during her pregnancies- so I built a slightly tilted platform to help with it during the night time hours.

I built it out of 4X8 birch sheets and 2x4's. I had some old drapery fabric from making my own draperies years back that I used to wrap it in. It's solid.

If you go this route I recommend planning it out as a 2 piece platform to help with moving it around, makes it much more reasonable to move around with one person.

I tend to overbuild things, so I could probably park my truck on it with no worries.

We've never had a problem with sagging. We also had our boy sleep between us until he was about 3 and we had twins. Now we have our twins in between us.

I get crammed against the wall and on the far edge like a M'fer and don't have the issues you speak of, I have no clue who my mattress was made by, but it is a quality polyurethane foam mattress that we've had for about 4-5 years now with no issues.

Hope that helps.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I've switched to a foundation I bought off Wayfair and couldn't be happier. I had the same problem like you with the twin box springs. One side was sunken down while the other was firm. I about tossed the entire setup. Switching to the foundation restored the mattress to it's original shape and also created storage space(and children's hiding space) underneath the bed.

Feedback Score
    Ours is on two solid wood twin bases that are set in a heavy oak frame with foot board and headboard. I think box springs would be a bad idea for the mentioned reasons. The two solid bases are just to make it possible to move the base, since the mattress can bend but a solid base can not to make it in door ways etc.

Had it now for almost 10 years (Tempurpedic) and no sagging, or noticeable wear of any kind mattress or bases.

Currently have my wife sound asleep in it along with the bed ninja, aka my 3 year old son, who hates sleeping alone and is a master of door knobs, and stealthily climbing into bed.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 02-04-21 at 02:22.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We have a regular king bed, but we were having the same problems.

Like THCDDM4, I decided to build my own platform bed.

I used 2x6 to frame and 2x4 to brace across with 3/4 plywood screwed to the 2x4 for the platform. I used 4x4 poplar for the legs and bolted them to the 2x6. I used 1x6 poplar to face the 2x6 on the skirt and the plywood is inset about 1” (i should have done 2-3”) inside the edge on the mattress and I used 1x6 poplar to finish the edge of the platform butted up to the plywood to just show the poplar. I stained all the poplar a mahogany color.

I used a sharpie to write disassembly instructions on the pine inside the bed

I does not squeak and does not move, I didn’t think I could buy a bed that would do neither of those.

Also, I was able to build it at the perfect height for us.

If you have the ability I would suggest building one. It built ours about 6 years ago on a Saturday for about $300 if memory serves.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Twin box springs are shorter than a Cal King is (Cal King is 84" long vs. a twin is 75" or xl is 80"). Not sure that would work too well.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Currently have my wife sound asleep in it along with the bed ninja, aka my 3 year old son, who hates sleeping alone and is a master of door knobs, and stealthily climbing into bed.
    I know the feeling about bed ninjas. I have a 4 and 2 1/2 yr old that do the same thing. I'm getting used to sleeping in their bunk bed........

Feedback Score
    Good times.

Realistically in the tens of thousands of years of Homo Sapiens being around, and the millions of years of mammals before us; the notion of young children sleeping alone is a pretty new concept and one that’s not natural. Strangely the little ones seem to be hard wired to instinctively want to sleep with mom and dad. Funny how that’s probably an evolutionary advantage.

I’m kind of growing to prefer it this way, it’s quality time for me having a kid late in life, and I know he’s safe and sound all night long. We don’t even fight it anymore, he’s 3, he sleeps like a rock in between us and the bed is plenty big enough. No bad dreams in the middle of the nigh. Once in awhile maybe waking up wanting water and a trip to the potty. He has not yet had an accident in bed since he started sleeping with us. At about 03:00 the German Shepherd and Rottweiler ask for a piss break and if my son stirs he takes one too. No problems!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Twin box springs are shorter than a Cal King is (Cal King is 84" long vs. a twin is 75" or xl is 80"). Not sure that would work too well.
    Most king of Cali king beds sold the retail outlet is going to have bases for sale that are sized right anyway. No way would I do a box spring(s) under a mattress that big.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast