Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Defense factory lube

Feedback Score

Daniel Defense factory lube

What kind of lubrication does DD have when shipped from the factory? Just picked up a DDM4 V9, my first AR, but don't have any lube on hand since the shop was out of stock, and wonder if it's advisable to shoot right out of the box, maybe 50-100 rounds. Would that have any undue wear and tear? It's not really wet but it's not entirely dry either.
    Last edited by ta0117; 01-18-21 at 19:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You could clean it, then use some motor oil or 2-cycle oil to lube it. OR, just shoot it, then clean it/lube it.

I clean then lube my guns before shooting them. Usually there is some sort of protectant applied to the guns so that they can be protected if they are put on a shelf in storage for a while. In some cases this stuff should be cleaned off before shooting since it can get sticky. Usually it's the worst in magazines (steel pistol/handgun), that's been my experience.

I'm fairly certain your rifle has already been shot at the factory for testing, and I have no idea what DD uses to protect their rifles/parts when sending them out.
    Last edited by SonOfAGunn; 01-18-21 at 18:14.

Feedback Score
    I know DD test fires their rifle, I just wonder if whatever lube from the factory is adequate for the first 100 rounds or so without undue wear and tear.

The store is all out of lube as well as iron sights.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Daniel Defense factory lube

I've never shot a firearm without first cleaning and properly lubing it. Doing so shouldn't cause any problems, but I see no reason to not follow the standard practice.

I also suggest removing whatever exists and replacing it with lubrication. Any lubrication is most likely better than whatever preservative DD uses. The lube doesn't need to be the latest and greatest wonder lube. Whatever's on the shelf at WalMart or the local farm supply business will work. As was already stated, motor oil will also work fine, as will whatever lube's in your nightstand.

...though if you don’t own any lube, I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that you also don’t have any solvent or cleaning supplies.
    Last edited by grizzman; 01-18-21 at 18:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ta0117 View Post
    I know DD test fires their rifle, I just wonder if whatever lube from the factory is adequate for the first 100 rounds or so without undue wear and tear.

The store is all out of lube as well as iron sights.
    If I had to make a wager, I'd bet that your gun would work just fine for 100 rounds or so without cleaning or lubing it and the wear caused by not cleaning and lubing beforehand would be minimal. If you were to clean it then lube it you would be assured of not doing any undue wear. Whatever you think is best.

Nice purchase, and welcome.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    I've never shot a firearm without first cleaning and properly lubing it. Doing so shouldn't cause any problems, but I see no reason to not follow the standard practice.

I also suggest removing whatever exists and replacing it with lubrication. Any lubrication is most likely better than whatever preservative DD uses. The lube doesn't need to be the latest and greatest wonder lube. Whatever's on the shelf at WalMart or the local farm supply business will work. As was already stated, motor oil will also work fine, as will whatever lube's in your nightstand.

...though if you don’t own any lube, I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that you also don’t have any solvent or cleaning supplies.
    Good point about him possibly not having cleaning supplies.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    No, don't have solvent or anything. I heard CLP is a good all around cleaner and lubricant, but the gun store just doesn't have any of this stuff in stock at the moment. I can give motor oil a shot if necessary. This is my first gun, but I did research how ARs work, but knowing exactly what I need is all quite new to me.
    Last edited by ta0117; 01-18-21 at 18:48.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ta0117 View Post
    No, don't have solvent or anything. I heard CLP is a good all around cleaner and lubricant, but the gun store just doesn't have any of this stuff in stock at the moment. I can give motor oil a shot if necessary. This is my first gun, but I did research how ARs work, but knowing exactly what I need is all quite new to me.
    Welcome to the club. No need to overthink it. Keep moving parts lubed and you’ll be fine. Lots of people use 10/30 motor oil as a preference so it will work. I believe some even say that Mobil 1 is best. I dont know either way but keep it lubed and you’ll be fine. As far as shooting it first, it’ll run just fine. Lube is preferred but do you want a rifle that wont run when its dry? DD makes quality stuff. If it was mine, i would want it lubed. That being said i understand wanting to shoot the shit out of it so i say do it. Once again welcome.

Feedback Score
    Right, motor oil I can get some at the local auto shop. I've ordered some CLP online but it will take a while to get shipped and I'm rather eager to start shooting. I've opened the DDM4 and it's not that wet but not entirely dry either, definitely has some kind of factory lube on it.

On a side note, is Fiocchi 55 grain .223 ammo any good? That's the only stuff that the store sells right now.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Another cheap option that’ll work is drug store mineral oil. Or you can use pretty much whatever looks slippery to any degree from the auto store or home improvement store. You don’t need much. Pretty much anything’ll work for a few hundred rounds. Including doing nothing, probably. I would only really sweat it if it were covered in that sticky/tacky stuff that Berettas come with. Don’t worry about buying solvents; just wipe whatever off with a rag or paper towel. Doesn’t have to be immaculate.

If Fiocchi 55gr .223 were available locally for a good price, I’d be shooting lots of it. I’ve not had any problems from the little I’ve shot.

Congrats on the new rifle. Welcome to the forum.
    Don’t get wrapped up about oil.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast