Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Orwell know, or just coincidence?

Feedback Score

Did Orwell know, or just coincidence?

With the current talk by AOC of "de-radicalizing extremists" or "de-programing white supremacists" or talk of re education Trump supporters or the PBS lawyer talking of sending Trump supporters kids to re-education camps. Also the talk of funding for a secret agency to monitor American citizens or the attempts to rewrite history aka. "the 1619 project". Sounds so Orwellian. IIRC he meant 1984 as a warning but do you think he had any clue how prophetic 1984 would be or is it just coincidence?

P.S. Don't get me wrong I don't support white Supremacy at all but how does she define who is a white supremacist. Is it as simple as " voted for Trump" or "attended a Trump rally" or actually looking for real evidence of one's involvement in a real white supremacist organization. Seems like a very slippery slope.
    Last edited by Kevslatvin; 01-19-21 at 09:59.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    1984 was Orwell's last novel, and he wrote it as an indictment about Stalin and the USSR. I do not think he had a clue what the US would look like 70-something years later. Who could??

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Orwell was born in 1903. He and others were quite aware of the horrors of the Soviet Union under Lenin and Stalin.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The vision for 1984 wasn't just commentary on past events. It was prophecy about the future of western civilization.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    The vision for 1984 wasn't just commentary on past events. It was prophecy about the future of western civilization.
    I am not so sure. Within 15 years or so of it being published there were a handful of dystopian novels (Brave New World really being the start of the trend, Animal Farm, Homage to Catalonia, a few others I can't remember), most authors were looking into the Spanish civil war, WWII, the USSR as the driving forces behind them. Orwell, at least nothing I read, showed he was being apocryphal or prophetic.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevslatvin View Post
    Seems like a very slippery slope.
    No, they WANT to build a ski resort. The slope is the point, not a side effect.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Look at Jules Verne; predicted submarine travel and so much more.

Both men saw the present, and correctly extrapolated the future. Orwell saw the Soviet Union under Stalin, and predicted the spread of the virus.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I THINK enough commie rat bastards read 1984 & decided "Hell...THIS is the way things ought to be" & are now using it as a playbook.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Look at Jules Verne; predicted submarine travel and so much more.

Both men saw the present, and correctly extrapolated the future. Orwell saw the Soviet Union under Stalin, and predicted the spread of the virus.
    He also wrote Journey to the Center of the Earth, but that has not happened.

I think we (royal 'we') get into the logical fallacy of assigning future meaning to historical things.

Orwell was well-known/regarded for his literary critiques of current times, not really with assigning a meaning to those times for future use.

Feedback Score
    I guess I found it amazing how close some of their speech mimics things from the book. I guess since Stalin/The Soviet union was the source material and the far left seems to use that and communism in general as their playbook it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast