Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Did Orwell know, or just coincidence?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevslatvin View Post
    With the current talk by AOC of "de-radicalizing extremists" or "de-programing white supremacists" or talk of re education Trump supporters or the PBS lawyer talking of sending Trump supporters kids to re-education camps. Also the talk of funding for a secret agency to monitor American citizens or the attempts to rewrite history aka. "the 1619 project". Sounds so Orwellian. IIRC he meant 1984 as a warning but do you think he had any clue how prophetic 1984 would be or is it just coincidence?

P.S. Don't get me wrong I don't support white Supremacy at all but how does she define who is a white supremacist. Is it as simple as " voted for Trump" or "attended a Trump rally" or actually looking for real evidence of one's involvement in a real white supremacist organization. Seems like a very slippery slope.
    He knew.

Look into his background and affiliations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    If we claim that he knew, then we also have to claim by the same logic he was an idiot in that while we see similarities of 1984 now, we did not in 1984. The man wrote books, he was not a prophet. To claim he knew supports three fallacies (the Delphi, the Jean Dixon, and patchwork quilt).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    ANY student of history, KNOWS what happens to EVERY society & gummint over time.

The problem is... finding STUDENTS of history; and NOT, 'REVISIONISTS' of history.
    This is true. I used to get looks. Now a days I get asked advice. Lol 😆

Orwell May have read many of a British Empire white paper in his day, which probably helped him to create his bureaucrat/government speak. Things are not as new as people think, and the sun has seen it all since there is nothing new under it.
    1984 and Brave New World combined comes off as a training manual for tyrants. Just need to know where to apply the boot stomping and where else to apply the soma gas.
    Member of the JPFO, NRA, and TSRA!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidbattlecry View Post
    How many people here have actually read and thought about the Book 1984?
    My copy is at least 30 years old at this point. First read it in high school, and read it periodically every couple of years. The Orwell essays are also incredibly interesting.
    Listen. Tell. Run Like Hell.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecWired View Post
    My copy is at least 30 years old at this point. First read it in high school, and read it periodically every couple of years. The Orwell essays are also incredibly interesting.
    30 yrs ago it was read as a warning to people...don't let this happen to you. Now it's probably read as an instruction manual on what a just and equitable society looks like, an encouragement to press on to glory.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    He had an understanding about what happens when a government gets too big and corruption drives the direction of the country.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by marco.g View Post
    White is traditional commie speech for reactionaries.

They’ve conveniently lumped all anti commies into the white supremacist camp.

For example:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-yo...emacist-groups
    BLM couched their marxist ideology into racial terms. The far left has been changing the language for decades.

Feedback Score
    Orwell may have been thinking of the Soviet Union but that border crossed me sometime back. I live in a Soviet Republic. Orwell was a profit. I am going to reread that book and take an new look at the two films I remember.

Feedback Score
    For those interested there was also a film with Richard Burton called 1984. Not sure why the villains always sound worse with British accents...

Also the audiobook is nice for those with commutes.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345