Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living with one kidney

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Living with one kidney

Long story short, I recently was diagnosed with a hernia. Doctors did a CT scan to see what was going on and a large tumor (10cm x 8cm) was found in my right kidney. My urological surgeon and oncologist believe it's cancer. Either way Im losing my kidney in the near future.

So Ive been trying to research what it's like to have one kidney. Most of what Im reading is something along the lines of "most people live a normal life without any issues". I find it really hard to believe they can remove an organ and everything goes back to normal. Anyone else have one kidney? Any advise?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sorry to hear that, but best of luck.
    I've had kidney issues, but they were stones, one as large as a pellet for a pellet gun. I've also had multiple hernias. While I may vaguely be able to relate, when I went through my issues I studied up on it and that appears to be correct "most people live a normal life without any issues".
    Good Luck.
    Back when I was a bad ass, Cco 1/30th was the Infantry Bn, C co 2/64th Armor trained up with.
    God Bless You !

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Keeping you in our family’s prayers, OP.

PM if you need anything, we’re up north but will come to the valley if we can be of help to you.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    People donate kidneys all the time, from what I've read losing one only comes into play if you live a rough life style, otherwise maintaining reasonably healthy practices you should be GTG.

Sucks none the less, prayers out to you man.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    A family member had very similar situation about five years ago. He might tire a little easier, and he definitely stays conscious of overall health now (sort of), but otherwise it’s a normal life.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    People donate kidneys all the time, from what I've read losing one only comes into play if you live a rough life style, otherwise maintaining reasonably healthy practices you should be GTG.

Sucks none the less, prayers out to you man.
    You do know he is a former Grunt right?
    When Jack Daniels, Skoal and chicken ala King turn up in a blood test, on a grunt, its running at about 99%. Add in a ten year old copy of "Hustler" and it's 100% , all around.
    Just sayin' These guys can forgive a lot of things, but......
    We would count down to a start up and these guys would fade in from the trees and dry off from the night/winter

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Yep - what he said.
    While I’m no physician, I did just retire from 40+ years of teaching Anatomy, Physiology, and Pathophysiology - some at the med school level.
    The average healthy person can usually get by on 1/3-1/2 of one kidney - hence the ability to be a live donor.
    And FWIW - donating a portion of the liver is quite different, as most healthy livers will actually regenerate the donated lobe.

Best of luck in all of this.

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    You do know he is a former Grunt right?
    When Jack Daniels, Skoal and chicken ala King turn up in a blood test, on a grunt, its running at about 99%. Add in a ten year old copy of "Hustler" and it's 100% , all around.
    Just sayin' These guys can forgive a lot of things, but......
    We would count down to a start up and these guys would fade in from the trees and dry off from the night/winter
    Hahaha. I spent many a cold wet night standing behind an Abrams.

Between all the time around chemical fires at suspected WMD plants, being a tunnel rat in freshly fragged tunnels and bunkers, burn pits, DU rounds, and the time that the cooks accidentally used the diesel can to make gravy...... I'm surprised I've lasted this long without major tumors. Lol.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have two friends with one kidney each, one friend donated a kidney to the other 18 years ago. They are both around 50 now and leading normal lives.

Feedback Score
    That sucks, wishing you the best!

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast