Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret Primer Sources

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    Discord has pretty much killed this. They sell out so fast the in stock notifications are never sent out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Sound like you have a plan and you know how to get them. Just like 2008 and 2013 this is going to be a marathon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Sound like you have a plan and you know how to get them. Just like 2008 and 2013 this is going to be a marathon.
    I was a discord early adopter and was able to get what I needed to make it through this (hopefully). Discord is doing more harm than good at this point.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Once things calm down a bit, gun shows are going to be the best way to get powders and primers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Once things calm down a bit, gun shows are going to be the best way to get powders and primers.
    I tend to believe the same. Great way for guys that have surplus they want sell to be able to do so without having to mess with any shipping hassles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    It has been a few months but my brother was on some sort of reloading discord server and they have/had a room where availability notices were posted. Once posted you needed to immediately go grab the one thing that had come in that was most important to you and check out (as otherwise everyone would buy the stuff you had put in your cart as you tried to get everything you wanted). Things would sell out in minutes. But he was able to get a ton of primers at normal prices. Sellers were places like Cabelas / Bass Pro and other reglar reloading supply. But the in-stock would only last minutes. I'll ask him about it.
    I got 5K 450s back in July using one of those discord servers.

That was July. I basically stopped looking for primers. I’ve got about 10K and I’ll just have to conserve until supplies recover.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JB2000 View Post
    I’ve been able to find the powder I want but some, like Varget, have been hard to find for a while.

Someone pointed out that the powder manufacturers also sell direct so you can check their websites as well.
    I 'try' my best to get out to the local sporting goods / gun stores and at least look around once or twice a month and for the last several years Varget has been unobtainium.

Saw it last about a year ago and hesitated because the price was so high. What little they had was gone the next time I stopped in that place and have not seen it since... I missed that one.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My Sgt., who just got into reloading, says Canada has primers in stock and at normal prices. Anyone in the north want to make a run for the border? Figure the north is not as heavily watched as the south is.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    My Sgt., who just got into reloading, says Canada has primers in stock and at normal prices. Anyone in the north want to make a run for the border? Figure the north is not as heavily watched as the south is.
    This was the case in 2013 also. Both Budget and Londero are pretty well stocked, they just won't ship to the US. I used to know a girl up there that back in the day would buy and ship down but she moved back to the US.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have more reloading supplies than I will ever use. Seriously. Bought cheap. How?

Old Dudes.

See, this whole "panic" thing- isn't exactly "new".

Panics I have lived through (Was very young for some of these, but people bought stuff and put it away for a rainy day)-

1973- "Arabs raised the price of oil, gonna be an economic collapse" (Ever hear of a guy named Mel Tappan?)

1980- "Reagan going to nuke those dirty Ruskies back to the Stone Age!

1989- Bush Bans Assault Weapon Imports

1994- Federal Assault Weapons & Magazine Ban

2000- "Holy Shit the Computers gonna get us all"

2004- "AWB is over, BUY ALL THE THINGS!!!"

2008- Barrak HUSSEIN Obama" Elected

2012- Sandy Hook Shot up

2016- "Ain't no way Trump Wins"

The guys that bought stuff back in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's- many were in their 40's, 50's and early 60's. They were in their prime earning years and could afford to lay in supplies..... They are now FRIGGEN OLD! Many simply stashed that stuff in a closet- it was never loaded- Brass, Primers, Powder, Bullets.....At our Rifle Club- the median age is 64.

A lot of those guys in the last few years finally decided, "Huh, I'll never use this shit and my kids and grandkids are morons and generally useless. Betty wouldn't know what the hell to do with it....now what?" I was the "now what". I let it be known at the club (400 members) that I would buy all the powder, primers, brass, bullets etc...that they had, with cash, no muss, no fuss. Word traveled fast.

I bought huge stashes of stuff at pennies on the dollar. It was less hassle than them trying to get a table at the gunshow and deal with the low IQ Jerky and Beanie Bay crowd, setting up show after show trying to get rid of stuff....

I sold off whatever I didn't need and often ended up with whatever I kept for nothing, zero outlay.

This strategy can still work. Just a month ago I bought out an estate. Guy I got it from was the son in law- FIL had been dead 10 years....They were getting ready to move out of his house and decided to get rid of "all that old stuff". There are lots of guys that have essentially aged out of shooting, lost interest- too many doctors appointments etc...Put out feelers here and there- I actually put up a simple sheet of typing paper saying I would buy reloading supplies with little phone number pull offs at the bottom around the Rifle Club.

Thankfully, my kids are not stupid or useless, so I don't have to worry about where all my "stuff" will go.....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    Discord has pretty much killed this. They sell out so fast the in stock notifications are never sent out.

So having been on discord and doing some testing. Discord is just getting the in stock notifications. I have recived some email notifications, went and made my purchase and then got the notification from discord. It is a super helpful aggregate but there is no insider front running. Everyone is working off the same list. Just my experience. YMMV

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast