Thread: 338 Spectre

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

338 Spectre

Does anyone here load 338 spectre? I bought a barrel directly from Marty at Teppo Jutsu years ago and built a rifle. Have not fired it yet. I bought 500 pieces of SBR brass directly from them years ago and a set of Hornady 338 spectre dies (at the time Hornady wouldn’t release them to anyone not OKed by Marty). I finally got around to loading a few rounds. However they don’t chamber. They get most of the way in and get stuck with a guesstimate 1/4” length left. I tried sized but empty brass in addition to some dummy rounds and live loaded rounds I made. All with the same success.

I don’t know if the chamber is too small, the dies are not sizing down enough, or what the issue could be. I don’t have a case gauge and only SBR lists such a thing and it is out of stock.

If someone loads for this can you make me a dummy round that chambers in your rifle and send it to me? I’ll obviously pay you for it.

I have a lot of money in this rifle and also the dues and components and would like to to get to the bottom of this and get this one running.
    Last edited by chadbag; 01-20-21 at 00:01.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    one place you can start is by a chamber casting. get some cerrosafe, and make a chambed casting. then you can measure your chamber using the casting. it will be a quick way to see if you have any major chamber problems.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Good idea, thanks. I'll go down that path.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.