Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Is The Real Range of Night Vision Equipment?

Feedback Score

What Is The Real Range of Night Vision Equipment?

I bought a $200.00 set up and it was totally useless. Today I ran into something saying NV's range is about 30 yards. If NV costs over 2k for a good unit, this seems very low and limited to me. How far can you see with the best units? I mean a positive ID.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No, not even close. Hundreds of yards. Like making out man size targets at 300 yards is easy, depending of course on ambient light and contrast levels. The things that would keep you from seeing someone with night vision are the same that would keep you from seeing them in the daytime. With a laser illuminator though anyone within about 600 yards is going to be pretty easy to spot.

As far as actually hitting something at those ranges, that's a little bit harder. With a dedicated night vision scope you can do it, but the laser aimers aren't all that accurate. I would say their range is probably about 150 or so. Anything beyond that and statistics start coming into play.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    About as far as you can see without NV during the day, IME.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I mean, Im able to see starts with it so.........

In all seriousness, okie has it covered. Obviously there are resolution limitations because you are looking at a screen with a generated image, it isn't like a standard scope but in my limited time with night vision I have yet to run into a problem of distance.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I agree with that in general. There's a little bit of fuzziness around edges of objects at a distance, but not nearly as much as there used to be. I would maybe compare it to watching something in SD. The main thing though is the lack of contrast and especially the lack of color. Sometimes it's hard to tell what stuff is, or tell where something ends and something else begins.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I would (small d) disagree. If you have average, maybe higher side of average, or above distance vision you will probably find NV to be a little limiting. Not terribly, but you simply cannot "outfocus" the equipment and see quite like you can in daylight. If you distance vision is "average" or lower you may not feel the same.

Good illumination is also a key factor in really getting the most range for positive identification. I find the illum of the la-5 or the wilcox very beneficial if I need a positive ID at range, IR discipline allowing. Proper gain adjustment is also important. If your gain is at max, it's wrong and you are f'ing yourself.

Whomever said 30yards must have had it on backwards.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    No, not even close. Hundreds of yards. Like making out man size targets at 300 yards is easy, depending of course on ambient light and contrast levels. The things that would keep you from seeing someone with night vision are the same that would keep you from seeing them in the daytime. With a laser illuminator though anyone within about 600 yards is going to be pretty easy to spot.

As far as actually hitting something at those ranges, that's a little bit harder. With a dedicated night vision scope you can do it, but the laser aimers aren't all that accurate. I would say their range is probably about 150 or so. Anything beyond that and statistics start coming into play.
    OK, got it. Thanks guys. Your last sentence is interesting also. So, you are saying that (when the commies send me my 5K stimulus check) I would be better off at long range with a real NV scope rather than the goggles and laser?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    OK, got it. Thanks guys. Your last sentence is interesting also. So, you are saying that (when the commies send me my 5K stimulus check) I would be better off at long range with a real NV scope rather than the goggles and laser?
    Quality of zero, laser (rail) stability, bullets don't fly as well as lasers, and "you killed a rock a-hole" all play a factor. But optics do tend to rule at distance, day or night.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I would say a CNVD paired with a quality scope is a better choice than a night vision scope for overall versatility, unless you have the ability to have a dedicated night vision long range gun.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    With an SBR and laser and nods I can hit ipsc A zone to about 100 yards easily.

With this, I’ve hit IPSC past 1100 yards and cleaned kyl racks at 600 (smallest target 2” wide) but as others have noted light conditions are critical.

5EDB81F6-263D-402B-8706-B37AAC493E8C.jpeg
    Last edited by taliv; 01-20-21 at 17:37.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast