Thread: Pending Research vs Submitted/In Process?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Pending Research vs Submitted/In Process?

I submitted an E-file Form 1 on 1-15-21 but the confirmation email that I received did not include the cover letter PDF, only a copy of my application. I did notice however that the email listed the status of my application as “Pending research” as opposed to “Submitted/In Process” like when I filed my first Form 1 back in 2018.
    I think the reason for the “Pending” status is because the manufacturer of the lower I used is apparently not in their preexisting manufacturer database, is that likely the case or is my not receiving the cover letter more apt to be some sort of glitch? I sent a message via the Eform site asking for clarification but haven’t heard back yet. I’m assuming things are backed up in their NFA branch now.
    Since mailing the cover letter along with the fingerprints after filing is somewhat time sensitive I’m wondering if once the “pending research” is completed I’ll get a second email with the cover letter in it, at which point I’ll have five days to send it and my fingerprints, or is the “clock” so to speak, already ticking?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had this happen two weeks ago when I did a Form1 for a can. In looking up what the hell it means, yes, this happens when something about the firearm isn't in their system. In my case, it was the model number. I made up my own since its a Form1 silencer, thinking I was cool. Turns out, the current wait for "Pending Research" is 4-8 weeks. No thanks. I submitted another Form1 using one of their model numbers in the drop down and sent an e-mail to cancel the first. Maybe in 4 months I can get my $200 back.

From what I understand the 10 business days starts from the time the form is "submitted" to send your prints. It won't be "Submitted" until the research is done which may be 4-8 weeks right now. Someone posted on the NFA wait time thread that they didn't send in their prints for nearly a month after submitting and the Form1 was still approved, so who knows. Also, if you go back into the eForm system and go to the form, and document tab, the cover letter is there for you to download, only problem is there is no control number so your prints will most likely get lost if you use that one. Once the application goes to "Submitted" I would imagine that cover letter gets replaced with the one having a control number and e-mail one out to you.

Before looking it up myself, I sent them a question on 1/8 and still haven't heard back, FWIW.

Hope that helps.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    I've had this happen four times over the past year, all because the manufacturer, model and cartridge combination was not already in their system. The first time I received an email after a few days asking for pictures. I sent them and received the email to send in my fingerprints shortly thereafter. The second time I couldn't find the manufacturer/model/cartridge in their database, I got smart. I uploaded the pictures they'd need. I literally had the email to send in my fingerprints a few hours later. The same thing happened again in October. I sent in pictures again and this one has been pending research since. I sent a message to "Ask the Experts" and received a form message reply that pending research takes 90 days. They've blown past that window. A couple of weeks ago I submitted another where the manufacturer/model/cartridge wasn't already in their database. I sent the pictures in, but it's still pending research.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ugh, great. So it sounds like I’ve got a bit of a wait ahead of me. I wish I’d done a different lower now. Luckily it’s not urgent as I’m barely shooting my ARs anyway. I guess it’ll happen when it happens....unless something occurs politically in the meantime that halts the processing of new NFA applications or something.

I did submit photos of the lower receiver markings, so maybe that will help move things along. Or maybe not....

Feedback Score
    I’m not sure if there’s any work around for a form 1 SBR that’s not in the system to avoid pending research but for form 1 cans, just use n/a for the model. You can still engrave a model on the can if you so desire. Pending research delays right now are a minimum of 90 days. Then it goes to submitted and you (normally) have another 20-35 days to wait for approval. Pending research used to be as little as a few hours to a day or two delay. The current delays don’t make sense even with an uptick in submissions. As Alex said, if I submitted a form 1 can that went to pending research due to a model name, I’d resubmit without a model name and then withdraw the original. It may take a week to a month for refund on the original but it will come.

OP, sorry this doesn’t help your situation, however you will get an addition email when your status changes to submitted. You’ll have your cover letter and form 1 copies then and the clock will start ticking. My last set of prints took 15+ days to make it to Martinsburg due to mail delay and they were accepted and my form 1 approved.
    Last edited by JimmyB62; 01-20-21 at 13:21.