Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Food delivery driver doesn't like tip, takes food back

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Very strange then. I am glad that you did not mean it when you wrote "Last time I try and be nice." Keep being the good neighbor.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Didn't seem that way. My wife was there and saw/heard it the same way I did. We both looked at each other, confused because the response was totally unexpected.

I've seen surprise from a tip before. Tipping is just expected in NJ, that's just how we grow up, which is why, almost to a fault, I tip everyone. Even if restaurant service sucked and my food was cold, I still tip. Once we moved to NC people don't seem to expect it and are much nicer when you give them a tip. Our exterminator was surprised as all hell to get a tip, even on the fourth time I did it lol. The guy who helped us re-seed the fenced in yard was super thankful. We left cards for our UPS and FedEx driver at Christmas. I could have used the FedEx guy's reaction as one of those doorbell viral videos. The guy at Home Depot was absolutely not that.

Maybe something gets lost in translation due to the mask, but I don't think so.
    I don't think they are supposed to accept tips at Home Depot by policy. I ordered a couple garage cabinets online and checked in online and they brought it out to the appropriate numbered stall. The guy help me load them and after saying thanks,, I told him to hold on as I got out my wallet to give him a tip. He told me no, and that he can't accept tips.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    I don't understand people, you try and be nice, give a tip and get crap for it.

This past weekend I went to Home Depot to get two sheets of 1/4 birth plywood for a project. I walked over to the saw and asked for a an employee to cut the plywood in half. The guy did it, I said thank you and gave him $5. He looked at me and was like "what's this!?" Like in an angry manor. Really dude? I gave you a tip for 60 seconds of your time while you are still on the clock, then gave you $5 and you're angry with me? It was as if he was insulted. Can't tell if it was because it wasn't enough or if giving him a tip was an insult in and of itself.

Last time I try and be nice.
    Funny they're even allowed to take tips. I just bought a dishwasher from Lowes and went to pick it up. Guy in another department couldn't find the appliance people so he helped me cash out, roll it out and load it into my truck. I asked if he could take tips and he stepped back with both hands up like I was about to mug him. He said they absolutely cannot accept tips. He appreciated my offer and thanked me for understanding.

Regarding tips as a societal norm....bear with me...I love throwing this out to the millennials, especially the females and soy cucks who decry "the partriarchy". Tipping came about in an era when people who were effectively indentured servants exceeded the expectations of the aristocracy. The above definitions of TIPS as an acroynym back this up. I pissed more than a few people off when Albuquerque was talking about paying servers a minimum wage that was not based on tips. My position was this- if $2/hour was the going rate for tipped based jobs, and when business was slow, $2/hr was unfair, people needed to find fair jobs. But people don't want to do 9-5, weekends, get trained, pass drug tests, etc. So, $2 + tips is the compromise. If the city was going to raise server salaries to $7/hr (via raising my taxes to cover the costs) I was tipping them via higher prices and reduced buying power from my pay check deductions, higer sales and proterty taxes, etc. Yes, I was called all the typical names these muppets have been trained to say when clubbed with the logic hammer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Very strange then. I am glad that you did not mean it when you wrote "Last time I try and be nice." Keep being the good neighbor.
    No, I won't stop just throwing a hissy-fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    I don't think they are supposed to accept tips at Home Depot by policy. I ordered a couple garage cabinets online and checked in online and they brought it out to the appropriate numbered stall. The guy help me load them and after saying thanks,, I told him to hold on as I got out my wallet to give him a tip. He told me no, and that he can't accept tips.
    Not sure if it's a global policy. I worked at HD in the early 2000's and was never told of such a policy. We accepted tips all the time.

Okay, sorry for hijacking the thread.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    Japan no tipping hmmmmm polite people to ?

yeah this is why I do not eat out we did order pizza for my kids Bday as he wanted pizza hut ? besides that was the previous year otherwise chest freezer and just keep things stocked AND for younger folks know how to make stuff

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    Japan no tipping hmmmmm polite people to ?

yeah this is why I do not eat out we did order pizza for my kids Bday as he wanted pizza hut ? besides that was the previous year otherwise chest freezer and just keep things stocked AND for younger folks know how to make stuff
    In Iceland (or at least when I was there in the 90s) it was considered impolite to tip. Basically, it was considered "you don't make enough money so here's some charity."

Us dumb Americans were politely informed of the unofficial societal norms the times we tried to do it.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The attitudes and bad behavior will only grow worse and worse as we move forward.

Unfortunately, the United States is in an advanced state of collapse: social, moral, financial, political.

Gives me no pleasure to say so but yeah.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Um, yeah....she just committed theft. Way to go, moron. (Unless of course she refunded the transaction)

Welcome to Woke America.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I liked America a lot more back when if someone got saucy you just smacked them.
    The "Mad Men" America had a bit more integrity because being a jerk could get your butt kicked.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    So what do you guys tip GrubHub and other drivers? I think it is such BS that they calculate the tip based on how much the food is, like the driver has anything to do with that. I’d much rather see some kind of time and distance estimator. I don’t think the delivery fee is enough to support the driver, correct?

Delivery people for some reason have a problem with my address sometimes and go to the wrong block, so when a food delivery guy ended up on the wrong block and I could see it on the app I went out to the street and waved him down. He got to my house and start spouting off and I just said something like what’s wrong with you. He starts yelling and cursing and saying that he’s not gonna deliver my food. I told him chill out I’ll go inside you can drop off the food by the door and everything is cool. He comes and sits down the food bitching about it the whole time. When he Leaves he gets about 10 yards away I open up the door To get the food and just go what the hell is wrong with you dude. He explodes, turns around and starts walking towards me, and picks up a small end table we have on the front of our house porch and starts screaming at me.

Now the guy is about 5 foot four and 100 pounds, and English is not his first language. He screaming at me “I call police for you, Ice Hole” I’m thinking that’s fine with me? You think I’d be code red at this point, but it’s almost so comical I’m just standing there with the food bags in one hand dismissively waving him off with the other one telling him to just go away. He eventually puts down the table curses all the way back to the car and leaves.

Meanwhile I didn’t realize that my teenage son inside has gone completely code red. Luckily for the guy he leaves before my son can do anything. The funny thing was is that throughout the whole thing besides being annoyed I never was actually angry or felt threatened in a meaningful way. I know that’s kind of stupid actually.

The best part was is that my home security cameras caught the whole thing. When I contacted the food delivery company, and I forget which one it was, they were really very slow to react. When I finally got a text the next day I told them that they had until 5 PM to contact me, or else I was going to the police. I got some low level lawyer on the line, who is being fairly dismissive until I sent her a link to the Home video camera footage. I can hear her watching the video over the phone, and then the first words out of her mouth were “Oh my God“. She said she was terminating employment of that guy as of right then, and would fully support me going the police if I wanted to. I said that wasn’t necessary, and I think they gave me a free delivery. This was back during the Covid and riot times, and the last thing I wanted to do was get on the news or make a stink about it because of the optics.

Home security cameras are pretty good for their intended purpose, but they also make great witnesses. That is the third time that having video evidence made things perfectly clear as to what happened without any kind of noise. It’s great fun to have people tell their side of the story, and then roll the tape. Or even just tell them that you have a recording, and watch the blood drain out of their face.

Ah, 2020.
    Lol!

I actually found there were 2 types of people who ordered. First type kept all doors and windows closed, stuff laying around the front yard/driveway as if they were in the middle of doing something when covid hit (like an earthquake) so they had to immediately run inside for cover. And obviously have turned on CNN and haven't come out of the basement closet yet....I guess in fear of zombies or a radioactive waste land....who knows. However, they had no problem ordering food, which I would have to leave on the front porch, then get in my car, then text or call them to tell them their food has arrived!

Second type were more go with the flow type. Well we're home so may as well make the best of it. Many would even invite me into the house while they went to get the money.

Most of the time I just rang the doorbell and stepped back. If they asked me to leave it I would.

As for me, I rarely order out and if I do I either pick it up myself or call directly to the restaurant. I don't do door dash, GrubHub or any other app. I don't understand why I need to go through a 3rd party to get food.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 01-21-21 at 06:52.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast