Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do so many 1911's have a ramped rear sight?

Feedback Score

Why do so many 1911's have a ramped rear sight?

Why have a ramp on the front edge of the rear sight?

All that seems to accomplish is prevent the user from using alternative methods to rack the slide in an emergency.

Just aesthetics? Instead of a potentially life-saving feature rear sight makers and gun builders choose aesthetics?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Why have a ramp on the front edge of the rear sight?

All that seems to accomplish is prevent the user from using alternative methods to rack the slide in an emergency.

Just aesthetics? Instead of a potentially life-saving feature rear sight makers and gun builders choose aesthetics?
    30 years ago marketing folks pushed the "snag free rear sight" as a potentially life saving feature of the day as it didn't snag or impede the draw. Move forward 30 years, and marketing folks are now pushing the "rack your slide using the rear sight off a boot, belt, or post" as a potentially life saving feature every operator must have. Knowing how to utilize ones equipment is a little less dramatic and harder for marketing folks to capitalize on to increase sales.

Feedback Score
    I remembered they were marketed as being able to clear a "smokestack" malfunction without tearing up your weak hand.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    I remembered they were marketed as being able to clear a "smokestack" malfunction without tearing up your weak hand.
    Interesting. Hadn't heard that one.

Feedback Score
    IIRC (I'm usually wrong) I believe Novak started that sloped rear sight back in the day with his brand of 1911 sights. I can see the benefit of being able to rack the slide with the rear sight as was mentioned above. I think it may only come into play in a narrow window of circumstances but if you need it, you need it. It's my contention that you can also rack the slide if need be using the front sight as easy as the rear. (not off your belt I suppose) Maybe not optimum but necessity dictates getting your gun back into play & either sight is usable.
    Last edited by Delta-3; 08-02-21 at 00:02.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The amount of money and gear thrown at the 1% of scenarios by folks that can’t handle the other 99% when faced with any sort of stress multiplier is unreal.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    The amount of money and gear thrown at the 1% of scenarios by folks that can’t handle the other 99% when faced with any sort of stress multiplier is unreal.
    A reading from the Gospel of CPM!

Big facts here man.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Plenty of video evidence of pistols ending up out of battery during a fight while forced to use one-handed. It happens.

Why not use a different rear sight that does everything the ramped sight does with addition of one-handed racking capability?

Yes I do practice this function.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Plenty of video evidence of pistols ending up out of battery during a fight while forced to use one-handed. It happens.

Why not use a different rear sight that does everything the ramped sight does with addition of one-handed racking capability?

Yes I do practice this function.
    I thought you carried a Beretta bobcat? They have sights capable of being used to charge the gun?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I thought you carried a Beretta bobcat? They have sights capable of being used to charge the gun?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    I carry a Cheetah and Bobcat together often.

But sometimes an LCR .327 and the Bobcat.

Neither can be charged that way, unfortunately. Both take too much energy to pull back due to their blowback operation. (Well, the Cheetah can but barely. It isnt easy)

But I'll do it at home along with a little dry fire with a CZ-P01 and M&P 2.0 full size .45 I have.

I wish I would have bought a DW Guardian .38S to try out but now I've missed two batches of them. Wish they had a light rail though. And were optic ready.

That's what got me thinking about the rear sights on 1911 and why they often have that ramp.
    Last edited by Ron3; 08-02-21 at 19:16.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast