Thread: School me on beam color temp

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

School me on beam color temp

I’m getting conflicting information about which is more useful for weapon lights, 4000k or 5700k. To be honest I barely started understanding candela vs lumens a year ago, so can someone clue me in on the pros and cons of the two Kelvin ratings?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Simply put I would say 6000k is about as close to neutral/white light. The higher the number the more “blue”, the lower the number the more “yellow”.

I would lean toward that being a personal preference, especially with how close I suspect 4000k vs 5700k is.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    The higher the number the more “blue”, the lower the number the more “yellow”.
    Let me add that in my personal opinion and based on my personal experiences, I think a slightly yellow light and is better than a blue or slightly blue light. For me, it's easier to see details with a slightly yellow light. Also, the smoke from firing your gun can create a lot of glare with a weapon light if the light color is blueish.

Think of it like fog lights on a car or truck. A lot of people can see better with a yellow colored light than having your high beams or "brights" on. There are a lot of other factors, but this is something to consider.

I have been told (but don't know if it's true) that it's easier for a manufacturer to get a higher lumen number by making the light color more blue (and less yellow). Even if that's true, the higher lumen number is not always better.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good to know. What about photonic barriers? If we’re talking about candela of 50k+, is one temp more able to push through barriers than another?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    Good to know. What about photonic barriers? If we’re talking about candela of 50k+, is one temp more able to push through barriers than another?
    Blue light generally scatters more so a lower CCT light should be less attenuated by and have less glare in smoke.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Blue light generally scatters more so a lower CCT light should be less attenuated by and have less glare in smoke.
    Exactly. Remember the old aftermarket fog lights on cars? They were amber to cut thru fog and particulates in the air. Whiter light will reflect more and not penetrate to illuminate on the far side.

Photonic barriers. Imagine you’re looking down a dark hallway and there is a window allowing light in from outside. That light coming from outside is the barrier. That light actually causes some obstruction of stuff at the far end of the hall from your perspective. Having a higher output light will have the power to burn thru that to illuminate the darkness on the other side of that window light.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand