Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Acceptable 5.56/.223 Powders

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Acceptable 5.56/.223 Powders

We are at the point now that you just cannot count on buying your favorite powder. There is nothing quite like finding a couple pounds of rifle powder that you are not familiar with at the LGS. I have tucked a powder bottle under my arm while I checked the powder online, but it would be nice to have a list of acceptable .223/5.56 powders for use in an AR.

These are the ones I know and use:
    W 748
    H Varget
    H 335
    H 322
    CFE 223
    R TAC
    R X-Terminator

P.S. It is understood that not every powder is ideal when common bullet weights for the 223 span 50 - 77 grains.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-22-21 at 08:49.

Feedback Score
    8208 XBR is becoming my favorite for heavier loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Don't forget BL-C(2). But also what bullet weights are you loading, that can make a difference.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Running Varget in main stream .223 loads is nuts. It would be smarter to trade it for double the amount of another powder. People are crazy enough to take that action too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Running Varget in main stream .223 loads is nuts. It would be smarter to trade it for double the amount of another powder. People are crazy enough to take that action too.
    We don't really have the luxury of choosing between 20 different powders right now.

Heck, I burned at least a pound of Varget in 45-70 loads before it became unobtainium.

Andy

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    We don't really have the luxury of choosing between 20 different powders right now.

Heck, I burned at least a pound of Varget in 45-70 loads before it became unobtainium.

Andy
    Yeah. I mean specifically in .223. Varget is so desireable for other loads that you could trade it for more of a better option for .223.

Shoot... I saw a listing for 8 lbs of varget for like $500 on the auctions some place.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Yeah. I mean specifically in .223. Varget is so desireable for other loads that you could trade it for more of a better option for .223.

Shoot... I saw a listing for 8 lbs of varget for like $500 on the auctions some place.
    Damn. I would sell some for that kinda money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

I lost hundreds of dollars to that stupid .45-70.

I get your point about trading.

Feedback Score

Well that is a deal.

Saw one 8lb Varget, $950

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Im pretty green to loading for an AR but I've had good luck with IMR 3031. 22.4 grains grouped nicely under a 55gr FMJ at 50 yards in my Mk12. I was trying to develop a blaster/training load (not super focused on accuracy, but cheap and consistent) so I could throw it on the Dillon and crank a bunch out. I've put that on hold now, I can't find any more 3031, and I was caught with my pants down rifle primer wise. I normally just load pistol in bulk. I'm going to focus on precision 77gr loads for the Mk12 now.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast