Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable 5.56/.223 Powders

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    My issue with it in .223 is that it's a poor metering powder, and hard to get enough in the case.
    Drop tubes help with that but there is also an upside to powders that fill the case like that - Really hard to overcharge them!

Since discovering AA#7 (pistol applications) I pretty much gave up on a ton of Bullseye I have. Bullseye takes up such a small volume it is almost easy to miss an overcharged case - Not so with the AA#7. Not nearly as 'economical' as Bullseye but something like a doublecharge WILL make a visible mess that would lead most to stop and see what is wrong.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have enough primers and projectiles for now, but didn't stock up enough mid-burn rate powder before the panic. To be honest, I was still trying to find favorite powders and was/am reluctant to store large quantities of powder.

I reload for mainly 4 rifle calibers, 223, 30-30, 45-70, and 30-06. The powders that work well in 223 also tend to work OK in 30-30 and 45-70, but there is less overlap with the 30-06.

I know what to do if/when powder is readily available, but for now I am just scrounging.

At least I have time to catch upon prepping the brass I have.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-24-21 at 09:29.

Feedback Score
    http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I have enough primers and projectiles for now, but didn't stock up enough mid-burn rate powder before the panic. To be honest, I was still trying to find favorite powders and was/am reluctant to store large quantities of powder.

Andy
    Why?

That stuff does not go bad if properly stored + big jugs save you having to re-work loads every time you open a small bottle of new (or the pain of having to mix it all yourself so it behaves more like the same lot).

I still have powder in the original steel cans it came in that is perfectly fine to use today or tomorrow. As long as I keep it in a cool, dry location I have no doubts it will last for many, many years to come...

As far as safety concerns storing powder are concerned - I worry more about stuff like gasoline cans and various painting supplies / chemicals. Those items can make vapors that will ignite in a heartbeat - Powders do not.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I haven't used it but Shooters World AR-Plus and Tactical Rifle powders should also work well.

AR-Plus is on par with H335 and Tactical Rifle is between H335 and BLC(2) in burn rates per the charts. My brother has been using this brand of powder, not these specific products, and likes it.

https://shootersworldpowder.com/canister-propellants/

Luckily I bought a metric buttload of WC844 (H335) and WC846 (BLC(2) powder a good while back and have a good amount left, which are non cannister grade bulk "surplus" powders corresponding to the powders I listed in () .
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Why?
    I didn't stock a large amount of powder because I could pick up 223/5.56 at $.30 per round, the LGSes that stock powder had an extremely limited number of 8# jugs, and having enough powder on hand (2 lbs) to load 500 rounds of 5.56 was plenty for me.

My reloading consisted primarily of small quantities of cartridges that cost much more per round than 223/5.56 and I just dont burn through those calibers.

Plus I was complacent (a biggie).

Now that I can reload 223/5.56 for 1/3 the cost of new, I am regretting not stockpiling powder but am glad I bought a good stash of primers due to sales. Projectiles are, luckily, still available at a modest price increase.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Like everything else,hard to find but 2230 was always my go to powder,2520 also worked great. I used this for blamo/3-gun/plinking ammo. I was never a precision AR guy !
    I bought over 100 pounds of the "surplus" 2520 that was available several years ago- Pats Reloading out of Massillon, Ohio had it CHEAP. It came 8 pounds in what looked like a Bleach Jug. If you bought 6 jugs it was free Haz Mat if I recall right. I loaded quite a bit in .308 and it was a very solid performer. Still have probably 7-8 of those jugs in the closet. I wanna say it was like $10 a pound at the time? Good Stuff.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Drop tubes help with that but there is also an upside to powders that fill the case like that - Really hard to overcharge them!

Since discovering AA#7 (pistol applications) I pretty much gave up on a ton of Bullseye I have. Bullseye takes up such a small volume it is almost easy to miss an overcharged case - Not so with the AA#7. Not nearly as 'economical' as Bullseye but something like a doublecharge WILL make a visible mess that would lead most to stop and see what is wrong.
    Yea, I had probably 15 pounds of Bullseye a few years ago.....I thought, "Hell, I will never LIVE LONG ENOUGH to shoot this all up"....I started loading it in everything that I shot just to get rid of it. I made pretty good head way with it and am down to probably 3-4 pounds of the freshest of it. I had one can that I got out of an estate sale----It was a RED METAL CAN WITH A PULL TOP ring seal on it! 3 Pounds.....I looked up the can on some reloading collectibles sight- shit had been made in the THIRTIES! Blasted it all down range....I burned a crap ton of old powders for about 3-4 years there. Fortunately, my kids were still at home and we were shooting a bunch so it was easy to run through all that stuff- Winchester 680, Royal Scott D, PB, 5066, 700 & 800x....Some of that stuff I had to hunt old loading manuals just to find data for it. But, we got it all cleaned out and I ordered a good supply of more modern powders to replace it all with. Glad I did that when I did.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Yea, I had probably 15 pounds of Bullseye a few years ago.....I thought, "Hell, I will never LIVE LONG ENOUGH to shoot this all up"....I started loading it in everything that I shot just to get rid of it. I made pretty good head way with it and am down to probably 3-4 pounds of the freshest of it. I had one can that I got out of an estate sale----It was a RED METAL CAN WITH A PULL TOP ring seal on it! 3 Pounds.....I looked up the can on some reloading collectibles sight- shit had been made in the THIRTIES! Blasted it all down range....I burned a crap ton of old powders for about 3-4 years there. Fortunately, my kids were still at home and we were shooting a bunch so it was easy to run through all that stuff- Winchester 680, Royal Scott D, PB, 5066, 700 & 800x....Some of that stuff I had to hunt old loading manuals just to find data for it. But, we got it all cleaned out and I ordered a good supply of more modern powders to replace it all with. Glad I did that when I did.
    It does show just how long powder lasts when storage conditions are favorable.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-25-21 at 10:37.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Anyone have any experience with IMR 4166 Enduron? I’m going to run it with 75 he Hornady hpbt’s.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast