Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 9X19mm Crimp Die vs. 9X19mm (combination) Seater/Crimp Die - Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    The more a guy tries to work (crimp) the case mouth beyond just ironing out the belling that was done - The more difficult it will be to get everything running smoothly in a single step with a single die.
    Anything beyond removing the remaining bell is just smashing the cartridge. While it's possible to seat and crimp in the same step, my experience is that it's much easier to do so in separate steps and the results are better. There's no time savings when running a progressive press, so separate taper crimping is a no-brainer.

The term taper crimp is really a misnomer. Debelling is more descriptive and would eliminate a great deal of confusion. If you ever read where someone tells you to apply a heavy or light taper crimp, that's a clue that they don't know what they're talking about. One should just turn down the taper crimp die enough to remove the remaining bell and that's it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Anything beyond removing the remaining bell is just smashing the cartridge. While it's possible to seat and crimp in the same step, my experience is that it's much easier to do so in separate steps and the results are better. There's no time savings when running a progressive press, so separate taper crimping is a no-brainer.

The term taper crimp is really a misnomer. Debelling is more descriptive and would eliminate a great deal of confusion. If you ever read where someone tells you to apply a heavy or light taper crimp, that's a clue that they don't know what they're talking about. One should just turn down the taper crimp die enough to remove the remaining bell and that's it.
    Not to mention that if you smash (heavy crimp some call it) too far - That lead is not going to spring back like brass would.

Very much agree that removing the bell is all that one 'should' be doing.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If nothing else, it is easier to set the seating and crimping separately, in different dies.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for a rewarding discussion, guys.

I have the same die set as DG23 and PracticalRifleman (posts 9 & 10 above), but I don't use the belling die as it's done in the same station as powder dispensing (Dillon 550C) for me.

Best,
    Pat
    Where violence is the local language, be fluent.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Before I got a RL550B, I used the RCBS combo die for .40 S&W and .45 Auto. It certainly takes more time/effort to set up the die, but I had no issues. Unless you've got a powder check setup on you 550C, you might as well crimp separately. I'm not impressed with their sizing dies, but the Lee Factory Crimp dies seem to work pretty well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    If nothing else, it is easier to set the seating and crimping separately, in different dies.
    This is my thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    It certainly takes more time/effort to set up the die, but I had no issues. Unless you've got a powder check setup on you 550C, you might as well crimp separately.
    For decades I used a combined RCBS seat/crimp dies, and they worked well enough, but (1) adjustments were a PITA, and (2) it was constantly filling with bullet lube and crud, and cleaning it was a PITA.

I bought a set of Dillon dies a year or two ago, and they're fabulous. Adjustments are idiot-proof (and I'm a helluvan idiot), and cleaning out the seater is a 10-second job...

I sold my RCBS dies.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    This is my thinking...

For decades I used a combined RCBS seat/crimp dies, and they worked well enough, but (1) adjustments were a PITA, and (2) it was constantly filling with bullet lube and crud, and cleaning it was a PITA.

I bought a set of Dillon dies a year or two ago, and they're fabulous. Adjustments are idiot-proof (and I'm a helluvan idiot), and cleaning out the seater is a 10-second job...

I sold my RCBS dies.
    How is cleaning the Dillon dies faster?

Just curious. Do not have any Dillon dies to compare to.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm interested in hearing an answer to that, too. Sounds like a good option, if their other products are any indication.

Otherwise, I'll probably just adjust my RCBS die to seat without crimping.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    How is cleaning the Dillon dies faster?
    The actual seating or trim insert is held in place by a clip... Remove the clip, and the whole insert slides out for easy cleaning.

Replace the insert, put the clip back in, and the adjustments are all the same, too. Genius.

To clean the RCBS dies, I either had to remove the entire tool head to see inside, or dismantle the die (and lose all adjustments).
    Last edited by Bimmer; 01-26-21 at 13:42.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You beat me to it, I was just on Dillon's site and read about that. I agree, great idea and sounds like great execution, too.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast