Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 9X19mm Crimp Die vs. 9X19mm (combination) Seater/Crimp Die - Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    How is cleaning the Dillon dies faster?
    What is this die cleaning you speak of??
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    What is this die cleaning you speak of??

You obviously don't load lead bullets in pistol cartridges...

I've now gone mostly to coated (instead of lubed) bullets, but every couple hundred rounds I would get enough lube jammed up in the sizing die that it would actually change the OAL.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Combo sounds like a bad idea. Then again Im pretty anal about the crimp since I mostly load plated bullets. There is definitely a decrease in accuracy depending on how deep you are setting your crimp.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For all handgun reloading, pistol or revolver, I use a four die set.

1st die: size and decap.

2nd die: flare and expand

3rd die: seat bullet

4th die: crimp.

This requires the purchase of an additional seater/crimp die. I pull out the seater plug and use this fourth die for crimping only. It is one more step, but I prefer to keep the operations separate.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Dillon sells their crimp dies separately for the popular pistol calibers and for rifles I use the Lee Factory Crimp dies to apply a light taper. I do it like Uni-Vibe
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    For all handgun reloading, pistol or revolver, I use a four die set.

1st die: size and decap.

2nd die: flare and expand AND DROP POWDER

3rd die: seat bullet

4th die: crimp.

Me, too, but my RL550B bells the case while dropping powder at the 2nd stage...

Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    This requires the purchase of an additional seater/crimp die.
    Uh-uh... Dillon sells 3-die sets that cover stages 1, 3, and 4.

There's a universal powder die for #2, which only requires the correct "funnel" for each powder. Easy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    I use the Lee Factory Crimp dies to apply a light taper.
    Please explain what you mean by "light taper crimp".

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Please explain what you mean by "light taper crimp".
    I adjust the die so it is just lightly crimping -- the die is not honking adjusted down hard... Not sure what the intent of the question is or from what angle so not sure what to address.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    I adjust the die so it is just lightly crimping -- the die is not honking adjusted down hard... Not sure what the intent of the question is or from what angle so not sure what to address.
    I genuinely am curious what you mean by lightly taper crimping. I've heard that and heavy taper crimp and am at a loss to understand what is meant by either. The point of taper crimping is to remove the remaining flare from the belling step. The point isn't to help hold the bullet. When I setup a taper crimp die, I turn it down enough to completely remove the remaining flare, but no more. Anything more and I'd just be smashing the cartridge. So, there's nothing light or heavy about it. The die is just turned down far enough to do the job, no more and no less. I'm not saying that what you're doing is wrong or produces unsatisfactory results. I'm just curious what you mean.

Feedback Score
    The point of taper crimping is to remove the remaining flare from the belling step. The point isn't to help hold the bullet. When I setup a taper crimp die, I turn it down enough to completely remove the remaining flare, but no more.
    Right. I adjust the crimp so that the mouth of the case is right back to SAAMI-spec or so... IIRC, for .40S&W, spec is 0.423, and I'm crimping to 0.422. I used to do even less, but the chambers of my S&W 610 are tight.

So, there's nothing light or heavy about it. The die is just turned down far enough to do the job, no more and no less.
    This might be a transfer/relic from reloading for revolvers, which is a different ball of wax, and in which a "heavy" crimp IS used to retain bullets...

Loading .38Spl, I'll sometimes actually wind up crimping a hair over a wadcutter or into the "crimp groove" of a bullet.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast