Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 9X19mm Crimp Die vs. 9X19mm (combination) Seater/Crimp Die - Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Why, would you speculate, is Speer and Federal doing it with their duty loads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    Why, would you speculate, is Speer and Federal doing it with their duty loads?

Do you trust some cop not to chamber the same round a dozen times?

Feedback Score

9X19mm Crimp Die vs. 9X19mm (combination) Seater/Crimp Die - Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Do you trust some cop not to chamber the same round a dozen times?
    That was the suggestion I made earlier. And if if were problematic to lightly crimp rounds, wouldn’t we have seen problems with crimped duty rounds? Instead they tend to be some of the most accurate and consistent loads on the market.

Crimping isn’t a problem; over-crimping is a problem. Perhaps some have had experience only with over-crimping.

Last edited by PracticalRifleman; 01-28-21 at 22:10.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That was the suggestion I made earlier. And if if were problematic to lightly crimp rounds, wouldn’t we have seen problems with crimped duty rounds? Instead they tend to be some of the most accurate and consistent loads on the market.

Crimping isn’t a problem; over-crimping is a problem. Perhaps some have had experience only with over-crimping.

Depends on the bullet. My plated bullets are easily deformed from crimping, I havent hacksawed one to compare to a Gold Dot but my guess is they are pretty similar. Something like an HST, with its thick jacket and cannalure, probably isnt going to deform even with a heavy crimp.

I set my die to crimp enough without deforming the bullet but strong enough where I can smash the nose of the bullet with my hands into concrete without any bullet setback.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 01-28-21 at 22:51.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I think you're still talking rifle cartridges... Straight-walled pistol cartridges don't have "neck" tension, because they don't have necks.

(9mm IS "straight-walled" in the sense that it's not a bottle-neck case like .30 Mauser or .357SIG...)

It's not the case mouth holding the bullet, it's the bullet deeper in the case.

But yes, YMMV, and if what you're doing works for you, then who am I to judge?
    No I am not talking rifles.

Yes pistol cases have "necks". Even if the case is straight. The neck is the part below the case mouth where the bullet seats. No, 9mm are not straight walled cases. They are tapered. Unlike most other pistol rounds. Rifle cases with a shoulder are called "bottle neck" cases, because the neck is narrower than the rest of the cases.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I also dislike the case forming ring on the Lee pistol crimp die. Their rifle crimp die is tits though.

I appreciate the poster who said they use a second seat/crimp die, using one die to seat and one to crimp. I have two sets of dies for 38/357 and the Lee crimp die just got replaced.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-29-21 at 07:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I set my die to crimp enough without deforming the bullet but strong enough where I can smash the nose of the bullet with my hands into concrete without any bullet setback.
    When pressing my loads as hard as I can on my workbench, the bullets do not setback prior to taper crimping. If they do, then I know that I don't have adequate tension between the case and bullet.

If you look at a loaded cartridge and can just see where the bottom of the bullet is inside the case, that's ideal because you know that there is adequate tension between the case and bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I also dislike the case forming ring on the Lee pistol crimp die. Their rifle crimp die is tits though.
    I completely agree. The Lee FCD for straight walled pistol cases is simply a substitute for doing it right to begin with. If you have to post size a cartridge, then something is wrong. The Lee FCD for bottle necked rifle cartridges is an improvement over the more common roll crimp.

Feedback Score
    Tension between the case and bullet is fixed with a given die. 9mm sizers aren’t like rifle sized where bushings can be utilized to make subtle changes.

Feedback Score
    Tension between the case and bullet is fixed with a given die.
    All else being equal, yes. However, everything else is not always equal. I'll elaborate on the situation that I touched on before. I'd been reloading 40S&W for over ten years using the same Hornady sizing die. To this point, I never had a setback issue, but I always tested each batch by pushing on the bullet to see if I could force a setback. Then one day I made 50 and I found that I could push the bullet in by pressing the cartridge on my reloading table. I was perplexed because I had not changed anything in my procedure. Then I got to measuring. It turns out that the IMI bullets I was using measured 0.4000" to 0.4005" in diameter. This is about 0.0005" to 0.0010" smaller than is typical. But I had used them before without issue. I then measured the Remington brass that I was using. It was about 0.0005" thinner than the Speer and Winchester brass that I'd also been using. However, I'd used this same Remington brass successfully in the past without issue. Then of course there was the Hornady sizing die that I'd been using from my start. So I called Hornady because they've always been helpful. They had me measure the diameter of the carbide sizing ring. I was spot on with what they said it should be. They told me that the smaller diameter bullets combined with the thinner brass was causing the issue. Of course I was thinking that perhaps the carbide sizing ring in their die was just not small enough. So, I ordered a sizing die from Redding. When I got it I measured the diameter of the carbide sizing ring and found it to be 0.001" less than the Hornady. I then was able to use the Redding sizing die to load the IMI bullets in the Remington brass. When tested, the bullets didn't setback. In all it was the thinner brass, slightly smaller diameter bullets and the Hornady sizing die that combined to produce inadequate neck tension. If only one of these had been different, it's unlikely that I would have encountered the problem. I could have tried to mask the issue by turning my taper crimp die down too much or by using a Lee FCD to post size the cartridges which may or may not have worked to one degree or another. However, I was able to permanently solve the problem by understanding it and adjusting one of the variables. Was there something wrong with the Remington brass, IMI bullets or Hornady sizing die? No. It's just that the combination of all three didn't work. Now that I'm using the Redding die to size, I'm less likely to encounter a setback problem going forward.

Feedback Score
    Or for instance, a mild taper crimp solves the issue without creating problems. But back to what I was saying, the only way to change tension is to get a new die. It’s a shame we don’t have adjustable dies like we do with rifles.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast