Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone remember 9BPLE?

Feedback Score

Anyone remember 9BPLE?

Maybe 15 years ago a Federal 9x19 round marketed as 9BPLE was THE 9mm load. 115 grains screaming at 1300 fps. It seems to have faded in popularity since the HST and gold dot (and Hornady's crap) have taken hold. Is anyone still able to find it? Seeing how it holds up today against the big sellers would be a fun test.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I remember seeing it on SG Ammo’s site over a year ago.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It was standard issue for a large PD in my area for many years.

It had a reputation for cracking frames on high round count P226 pistols.

One of my friends had to shoot a deer with this load after it got impaled on a metal fence at a cemetery. This was in view of a grade school. The deer was making quite a bit of noise. Kids were looking out the window and we're getting upset watching bambi thrash around. They were even more upset after my friend shot the deer in the head and the bullet failed to penetrate the skull. Bambi freaked out even more. Took 3 rounds behind the shoulder to end it's suffering.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cretin View Post
    Maybe 15 years ago a Federal 9x19 round marketed as 9BPLE was THE 9mm load. 115 grains screaming at 1300 fps. It seems to have faded in popularity since the HST and gold dot (and Hornady's crap) have taken hold. Is anyone still able to find it? Seeing how it holds up today against the big sellers would be a fun test.
    Leader in its time, but more than 15 years ago. There are much better now. I've seen it and 9MS (147gr JHP) available in odd spots here and there.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    It is still made.

It is one of my favorite loads for 9mm and when it pops-up, I buy it. Based on availability over the years, it seems like Federal only makes it in one production run every couple of years then tosses it into the wild all at once.

It has been reliable in everything I've used it in - sub-compact, compact, full-size handguns, and several versions of AR-based carbine. It is a little 'snappier' than the 9BP load and comparable to some of the heavier 124 grain +P loads in recoil. It does flash more than 'standard' or +P loads.

As mentioned earlier, it did beat-up on some of the early folded-slide Sigs with the scalloped frame rails. At high round counts the rails would separate from the frame-proper from stress fractures, but only the front portion of the rails. After Sig changed their frame rails I never heard of another problem with it and the solid-slide models are actually pretty pleasant to shoot it in.

The one time I saw it used on a bad guy, it did the job. Two quick center-mass hits at 5-yds and he hit the ground so hard he bounced, DRT. Honestly, any other expanding round would probably have done the same, but that round did it, no doubt about it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Fast 115gr expanded a bit more reliability in some older designs. But perform poorly against barriers, like the deer’s skull above.

Stick with modern mid to heavy for adequate penetration and reliable expansion.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm carrying some right now. Each New Years Eve part of my ritual of celebration is to swap out the ammo in my carry gun magazines. I go to the "carry ammo" cans and select the oldest box of ammo (I sharpie them when I purchase them) and reload the magazines with "fresh" ammo. The rounds I've pulled from the magazines are shot the next day on my New Years Day range trip, another ritual...(Never had a round of the previous years carry ammo fail to pop yet).....I keep a few decades worth of carry ammo on hand, so at the moment, 9 BPLE it is. I will run through my supply of it in the next two years or so.

I think Cor Bon 125 +p's are up next. I bought a pile of those on close out from Palmetto State Armory about 10 years ago when they introduced the new DPX rounds as their "flagship" ammo....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    9BPLE wouldn't be my first choice in 2021, but I have probably 200 rounds of it and certainly wouldn't feel under-gunned with it. IIRC the Illinois State Police adopted it decades ago and for the timeframe they used it in as an issue round it had a pretty good track record.

IMHO 147gr HST is the way to go at this point in time.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    9BPLE wouldn't be my first choice in 2021, but I have probably 200 rounds of it and certainly wouldn't feel under-gunned with it. IIRC the Illinois State Police adopted it decades ago and for the timeframe they used it in as an issue round it had a pretty good track record.

IMHO 147gr HST is the way to go at this point in time.
    I have 100 rounds of 9BPLE, but its behind the 124 gr +P Gold Dots in my ammo cabinet.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-25-21 at 19:26.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    9BP was great ammo (for the times) for the auto pistols of the 1990's. It also ran well in MP5s and Colt Commando 9MM sub guns. Ballistics on the other hand, were not the greatest and most likely the reason the .40 S&W took off.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast