Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk thermal scopes

Feedback Score
    So, I am thinking I would like a COTI for scanning/situational awareness and laser shooting. I would also like a mounted thermal for keeping the coyotes down, etc. We don't really have hogs in UT yet thankfully.

How does a guy prioritize?
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    So, I am thinking I would like a COTI for scanning/situational awareness and laser shooting. I would also like a mounted thermal for keeping the coyotes down, etc. We don't really have hogs in UT yet thankfully.

Decide what distance you want to shoot.

I see a weapon mounted thermal as far more useful for distance shooting.

COTI / NVDs are more useful for shorter ranged work. Yes, you can shoot further than that but only when you know what you aiming at already.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Burris just released a few models. TFB has a video on YT showing them off.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

For me it comes down to if I’m stationary or moving.

Stationary hunting = Thermal

Moving = NV + IR laser (COTI would go in this bucket)

I am not invading foreign countries or using NV against concealed threats in shoot houses, but I find myself hunting at night almost weekly so the thermal weapon mounted optic made more sense for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    For me it comes down to if I’m stationary or moving.

Stationary hunting = Thermal

Moving = NV + IR laser (COTI would go in this bucket)

I am not invading foreign countries or using NV against concealed threats in shoot houses, but I find myself hunting at night almost weekly so the thermal weapon mounted optic made more sense for me.
    This is right along my line of thinking. However, if I don't move around, I have less opportunity to spot yotes. If I move around with NV only I may spook em before I see em. Past a few hundred, the laser is bigger than the yote. I'll just have to tell the wife you authorized both.

ETA: If I can save a calf or two a year, thermal really ain't that expensive over time.
    Last edited by utahjeepr; 02-09-21 at 20:36.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Good info here. Just got into NODS and wanting to get a thermal next. I like that NOX unit. May well be my next optic purchase.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    ETA: If I can save a calf or two a year, thermal really ain't that expensive over time.
    Heck, thermal would be a business write off!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Good info here. Just got into NODS and wanting to get a thermal next. I like that NOX unit. May well be my next optic purchase.
    I'd go and let JRH know you're in line. He doesn't take money up front and who knows how long it will be til the 35mm NOX's ship...

....Lowdown?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    What is the preferred way to shoot at multiple distances with a thermal optic?

My 6.5 drops 1.2 mil from 100y to 300y. My .223 12.5” is way more. What about wind?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    What is the preferred way to shoot at multiple distances with a thermal optic?

My 6.5 drops 1.2 mil from 100y to 300y. My .223 12.5” is way more. What about wind?
    Most thermal scopes have multiple different reticle types that include reticles with mil or moa hashes that you can use for holdovers, wind calls, and leading moving targets etc.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast