Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk thermal scopes

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Weapon mounted. Hunting deer, pigs, coyotes and general screwing around.

I’d never heard of Nvision until like 2 weeks ago. Are they a decent brand? $6000+ is a lot of coin to try on a company with no street rep.
    You can do all that with a $3K Pulsar.

Trijicon has been used to kill Hajis for over 2 decades.
    Those are ACOGs.

Trijicon thermal has only been on the market a few years, it was previously IR Defense. Trijicon has not updated the product line in the 4.5 years they have owned it. Looks like they are abandoning it to me.

Love my IRHunter MKIII, but it should be a MKV by now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post

Those are ACOGs.

Trijicon thermal has only been on the market a few years, it was previously IR Defense. Trijicon has not updated the product line in the 4.5 years they have owned it. Looks like they are abandoning it to me.

Love my IRHunter MKIII, but it should be a MKV by now.
    Agree. They bought out IR Defense, immediately raised prices $500. or more on the wholesale and retail level and have changed nothing int he last years...

Meanwhile a Nox will do all the same and more, is smaller and less money.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Lowdown3;2923621]
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post

Yes. The Nox 18 and 35mm can be used as weapon sights or handheld or helmet mounted.

The HALO LR is also weapons mounted, couldn't really be helmet mount (big) but could be used as a handheld as well.

Let me know if that didn't answer your question. Thanks
    Yes sir it does. Are there clip-on models that work mounted in front of a day scope?

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=CRAMBONE;2923639]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post

Yes sir it does. Are there clip-on models that work mounted in front of a day scope?
    The IR Patrol is supposed to be able to be used as a clip on, I didn't have the best luck with it but it's possible.

The Nox is not set up to be used as a clip on, most thermals are not.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Good info on the Trijicon offerings. I guess I am a bit of a brand snob and having had no experience with NVision I was worried they might be garbage.

Scanning with a rifle sucks, but what is my other option? Having a handheld and a rifle scope? That seems ridiculous.

What is the benefit to the 18mm vs 35mm NOX? 35mm is gonna be bigger but what does that get you?

Then why doesn’t everyone buy a $3k pulsar? You can’t be saying a $3k Pulsar is as good as a NOX or Reap-IR. Are you? Why wouldn’t I get something better if I had the choice?
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 01-25-21 at 16:07.

Feedback Score
    The Nox 18mm would be the best choice if your principal use was hand held and helmet mounted and occasional rifle mounting.

The 35mm would be the best choice is your principal use was weapons mounted and occasional helmet mounting.

Hopefully that makes sense
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Then why doesn’t everyone buy a $3k pulsar? You can’t be saying a $3k Pulsar is as good as a NOX or Reap-IR. Are you? Why wouldn’t I get something better if I had the choice?
    I know more people with Pulsar than anything else. Pulsar range from $2500 - $5000. In some ways they are better. More features, lighter, better look, etc. Thermion or newer cores are excellent.

Higher price does not mean better. My MKIII is great, but that resolution and range is not needed to shoot pigs at 100 yards which is what I do 99% of the time. For that I use a Pulsar. Less magnification equals better FOV

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I know more people with Pulsar than anything else. Pulsar range from $2500 - $5000. In some ways they are better. More features, lighter, better look, etc. Thermion or newer cores are excellent.

Higher price does not mean better. My MKIII is great, but that resolution and range is not needed to shoot pigs at 100 yards which is what I do 99% of the time. For that I use a Pulsar. Less magnification equals better FOV
    Interesting. I have never heard of any thermal companies. I’m just really apprehensive about trying anything I haven’t heard of before (Trijicon/IR Defense & FLIR) because I don’t wanna get burned buying something that’s garbage.

Which Pulsar model is good to go?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Good info on the Trijicon offerings. I guess I am a bit of a brand snob and having had no experience with NVision I was worried they might be garbage.

Scanning with a rifle sucks, but what is my other option? Having a handheld and a rifle scope? That seems ridiculous.

What is the benefit to the 18mm vs 35mm NOX? 35mm is gonna be bigger but what does that get you?

I don't see why you couldn't scan and mount with a qd, but haven't heard of anyone doing it.

The larger lense brings up the bottom magnification a d improves clarity for longer shots. Most of the predator hunters seem to prefer the larger lenses for target ID and longer shots, for pigs at 100 or less, a lower cost unit with larger fov seems preferred since there is more shooting of moving targets. More expensive isn't necessarily better, its just needed for more magnification.

Edit: try to find some halo vs halo-lr videos, and you can see the fov difference. The resolution difference between lenses and cores shows itself when the optic is zoomed in.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-26-21 at 08:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I don't see why you couldn't scan and mount with a qd, but haven't heard of anyone doing it.
    Depends on how and what you're hunting, but I do it all the time, and so do a lot of people. Obviously, having a permanent scope mounted thermal and a separate handheld for scanning is the best option, but that gets pricey quick.

With my Bering SuperHogster, i have a neck lanyard attached to a picatinny rail section. I keep my thermal QD mounted to that while scanning, and when i want to shoot, i simply quick detach it from the lanyard, and attach it to my gun. I have a rail cover on my upper, so my scope will only go back in the same place every time, and i have a piece of glow in the dark tape attached to my upper too, so i can see right where to put it. It's very quick, and always returns to zero.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast