Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk thermal scopes

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I don't see why you couldn't scan and mount with a qd, but haven't heard of anyone doing it.

The larger lense brings up the bottom magnification a d improves clarity for longer shots. Most of the predator hunters seem to prefer the larger lenses for target ID and longer shots, for pigs at 100 or less, a lower cost unit with larger fov seems preferred since there is more shooting of moving targets. More expensive isn't necessarily better, its just needed for more magnification.

Edit: try to find some halo vs halo-lr videos, and you can see the fov difference. The resolution difference between lenses and cores shows itself when the optic is zoomed in.
    Not sure they are still offering the 25mm HALO, I believe just the HALO LR now.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    Depends on how and what you're hunting, but I do it all the time, and so do a lot of people. Obviously, having a permanent scope mounted thermal and a separate handheld for scanning is the best option, but that gets pricey quick.

With my Bering SuperHogster, i have a neck lanyard attached to a picatinny rail section. I keep my thermal QD mounted to that while scanning, and when i want to shoot, i simply quick detach it from the lanyard, and attach it to my gun. I have a rail cover on my upper, so my scope will only go back in the same place every time, and i have a piece of glow in the dark tape attached to my upper too, so i can see right where to put it. It's very quick, and always returns to zero.
    I have been hearing good things about the Hogster. How are you liking it

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Depends on how and what you're hunting, but I do it all the time, and so do a lot of people. Obviously, having a permanent scope mounted thermal and a separate handheld for scanning is the best option, but that gets pricey quick.

With my Bering SuperHogster, i have a neck lanyard attached to a picatinny rail section. I keep my thermal QD mounted to that while scanning, and when i want to shoot, i simply quick detach it from the lanyard, and attach it to my gun. I have a rail cover on my upper, so my scope will only go back in the same place every time, and i have a piece of glow in the dark tape attached to my upper too, so i can see right where to put it. It's very quick, and always returns to zero.
    Just this morning I used my Flir Breach to solve a problem.

We have chickens on our little homestead. Unfortunately, we also have a long standing fox den on a neighbors place- literally generations of foxes have been raised there. It's ideal Red Fox territory. So, every few months we have a "fox problem". About a week ago I saw a lone fox, figured it was a male coming in to re establish a territory since I blasted the shit out of the last one about 3 months ago....

This morning as I was letting the chickens out- they free range our yard, when I looked up and saw not 1 but 2 foxes- great, mated pair.....going to set up house and start dropping kits in the next few weeks....

Went back to the house and got my Breach and a .22. Time I got back outside I had lost them of course...started scanning the field next door- which I also own...found them laid up in a clump of Yuccas. Waited for the sun to come up a little and I was able to make them out- about 50 yards away. Picked one of them out, POP! Floppy floppy....The other ran off a ways, circled back- wanted to get a shot at it really bad but always moving etc....and it moved off. Will have to wait for another day.

The Breach has really come in handy as a real survival "tool". Those chickens are pretty important to us....If things really went sideways- even more so....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    I have been hearing good things about the Hogster. How are you liking it
    I love it. I personally think it's the best thermal available in the $3k range, and i really like the size. It also records video which is a nice perk.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Just this morning I used my Flir Breach to solve a problem.

We have chickens on our little homestead. Unfortunately, we also have a long standing fox den on a neighbors place- literally generations of foxes have been raised there. It's ideal Red Fox territory. So, every few months we have a "fox problem". About a week ago I saw a lone fox, figured it was a male coming in to re establish a territory since I blasted the shit out of the last one about 3 months ago....

This morning as I was letting the chickens out- they free range our yard, when I looked up and saw not 1 but 2 foxes- great, mated pair.....going to set up house and start dropping kits in the next few weeks....

Went back to the house and got my Breach and a .22. Time I got back outside I had lost them of course...started scanning the field next door- which I also own...found them laid up in a clump of Yuccas. Waited for the sun to come up a little and I was able to make them out- about 50 yards away. Picked one of them out, POP! Floppy floppy....The other ran off a ways, circled back- wanted to get a shot at it really bad but always moving etc....and it moved off. Will have to wait for another day.

The Breach has really come in handy as a real ". survival "toolThose chickens are pretty important to us....If things really went sideways- even more so....
    Bolded for emphasis- YES! I always get the people that are like "I don't PLAN on fighting... so why would I need NV or thermal?"

Protecting your livestock which keep you fed? Yes. Allowing a safer bug out under the cover of darkness? Yes. Allowing you to spot people and possibly avoid them long before they "see" you? Yes. Ability to go out in the darkness and harvest game when others cannot? Yes. Ability to see and detect animals that you might not have been able to see and harvest them? Yes...

Dozens of uses for NV and thermal that don't involve using them to "fight." Yes they make a helluva force multiplier in fighting situations no doubt there, but they also have tons of other uses for survival.

Just firing up the Nox 18mm around the house a cold night last week I realized there was a couple areas lacking in insulation that I need to work on.

Great post!
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    Bolded for emphasis- YES! I always get the people that are like "I don't PLAN on fighting... so why would I need NV or thermal?"

Protecting your livestock which keep you fed? Yes. Allowing a safer bug out under the cover of darkness? Yes. Allowing you to spot people and possibly avoid them long before they "see" you? Yes. Ability to go out in the darkness and harvest game when others cannot? Yes. Ability to see and detect animals that you might not have been able to see and harvest them? Yes...

Dozens of uses for NV and thermal that don't involve using them to "fight." Yes they make a helluva force multiplier in fighting situations no doubt there, but they also have tons of other uses for survival.

Just firing up the Nox 18mm around the house a cold night last week I realized there was a couple areas lacking in insulation that I need to work on.

Great post!
    You rock man.

Definitely going with the Nox 35mm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    You rock man.

Definitely going with the Nox 35mm.
    Very solid choice. Let us know what you think when you get it.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Very solid choice. Let us know what you think when you get it.
    Oh I will

I’ve never been this excited about an optic before.

Just wish NOX would hurry up and start shipping them.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    It is stunning to me how much lighter and more compact weapon mounted NV has become given it is a relatively small market. NOX 18mm with mount is 16 oz and 35mm is 19.3 - that compares well to a light LPVO and mount.

I have no need a gun-mounted thermal device, but wow.

Andy

Feedback Score
    great thread, any pics of the setups?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast