Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend possible areas to live in Idaho

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Recommend possible areas to live in Idaho

Our family is making a tough decision to relocate out of WA state. About 90% certain it'll be to Idaho, but considering a couple other states too. Because, well...the psychotic raging leftist culture in this state has made it unlivable. It's gone beyond the point where you can just avoid leftist outhouses like Seattle. Anyone who's here knows: they're invading the schools with LBGTQ and anti-family/anti-religious/anti-American propaganda, controlling how you can use water/wells on private property, planning to tax you on how many miles you drive on the road, planning to ban or confiscate firearms, and a slew of other overwhelmingly authoritarian actions. It's gotten so bad we need to move.

Can anyone recommend good options or areas in Idaho that we should check out?

Main things we're looking for:
    * A small town or distant suburb of a larger town is preferred. Not a remote rural location, and not within Boise city limits either.
    * Do want to be within say 90 minutes driving distance of Boise or another mid-sized city with good hospital/healthcare, shopping, transpo options.
    * Looking for an area that with quick access to great outdoor gun ranges, preferably 600 - 1K yards.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I live in Northern Idaho, in the Coeur D' Alene area, and it is starting to get a little too big for me. It's beautiful, and I love the lake, but it's growing insanely fast. Had I not purchased my house in 2015 I really am not sure I could afford to buy one now.

Based off your criteria, I would honestly suggest looking at Bonners Ferry, Idaho. Or even Sandpoint, or Ponderay. Bonners ferry is 30 minutes from Sandpoint, and about an hour and 15, to an hour 45 from Spokane, WA. Sandpoint has all the amenities, hospital, shopping, another beautiful lake, it's also a ski town with a great mountain. Good food, breweries, etc. If I was in the market, and didn't just refinance, I would be looking up in Bonners area. If you have any other questions feel to PM me.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks, we will check those out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Any intel about what it's like around Lewiston or Moscow? Or farther south, Payette, or Caldwell?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Any intel about what it's like around Lewiston or Moscow? Or farther south, Payette, or Caldwell?
    Moscow is a pretty typical college town. University of Idaho is there. More Liberal than most Idaho areas because of that. Lewiston sits in a bowl. It's always hot, smoggy and smells bad to be completely honest. They are directly across the river from Clarkston, WA which is the nicer side imo.

I'm really not a huge fan of Lewiston proper.

I have only been through Caldwell, never stayed there.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The housing market in Bonners and Sandpoint is insanely high and not looking to come down anytime soon. What makes you think that Idaho isn't going to become just like Washington with the amount of West Coast folks moving here? Boise is already a fairly left-wing sanctuary city.
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 01-25-21 at 21:19.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good intel from all. We are looking anywhere pretty much up and down the west edge of the state. Our kids and first grandkid will still be in Puget Sound area so we're sticking to the west side of Idaho where we can drive to Puget Sound within 5 to 8 hours, depending on starting point. So being fairly near to one of the main freeways would help. Looking anywhere in the areas just north of Boise, all the way to around Coeur d'Alene area that Willis suggested. We both grew up on farms and don't want to live in any big city, so we're looking to either smaller towns like Payette or a small suburb that's far out from Boise. From checking a few real estate listings, it does look like there's kind of a resort effect driving up prices in some places in the north. Let me guess: some of our friends from Cali moving there and driving up prices, just like they've done in Puget Sound.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Our family is making a tough decision to relocate out of WA state. About 90% certain it'll be to Idaho, but considering a couple other states too. Because, well...the psychotic raging leftist culture in this state has made it unlivable. It's gone beyond the point where you can just avoid leftist outhouses like Seattle. Anyone who's here knows: they're invading the schools with LBGTQ and anti-family/anti-religious/anti-American propaganda, controlling how you can use water/wells on private property, planning to tax you on how many miles you drive on the road, planning to ban or confiscate firearms, and a slew of other overwhelmingly authoritarian actions. It's gotten so bad we need to move.

Can anyone recommend good options or areas in Idaho that we should check out?

Main things we're looking for:
    * A small town or distant suburb of a larger town is preferred. Not a remote rural location, and not within Boise city limits either.
    * Do want to be within say 90 minutes driving distance of Boise or another mid-sized city with good hospital/healthcare, shopping, transpo options.
    * Looking for an area that with quick access to great outdoor gun ranges, preferably 600 - 1K yards.
    Yeah, you also want something less than 2 million, right? I have looked into Idaho for some time. Southern Idaho is a desert and now has west coast big city prices. You will have to buy a lot in a tract area and wait to have it built. OR you go to Central/Northern Idaho (three northern counties have no building codes) and live either high up or hugging Canada. Either way it is miserable weather for 9 mo. a year.

I have not ruled Idaho out though. My situation is not as bad as yours but my daughter and family recently escaped Seattle and are having a house built in Meridian. You are right to move, it is just the fact that Idaho is receiving a flood of refugees and prices are crazy right now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yep agree it's not the optimal time to be moving price-wise, when there's a flood of political refugees as well as equity-rich folks looking to buy/build fancy houses near the skiing areas. Drives up all the price levels. However price is relative: the value of our current home in our area is about the same as some equivalently sized new houses in some of the areas we've been looking at (one is Middleton). So for us, still a better deal than staying here with the boot of Washington authoritarians on our necks. Wish we could convince the kids to leave too, they're not leftists but they still feel attached to friends/jobs/etc and don't want to go yet. Probably the thing that'll finally convince them is when their kids start school, they'll want to raise them as conservative freedom-loving Christians, but they'll see how bad the indoctrination is and either switch to private schools, home school, or leave the state.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    We have a house and property in Mackay, Custer County. This is Southeastern Idaho and it's about an hour and a half (depends how you drive) from Idaho Falls. Good values and California has not invaded this area yet. Home prices are very reasonable, unlike Boise.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast