Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt 6940

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    Get the rifle, get 2 if you can. I kick myself in the ass knowing I traded mine away. That was an absolutely scary accurate rifle.
    I remember Pappabear had one that would shoot AMAX bullets in tight little groups.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncas47 View Post
    One of the best Colts ever built, and this from a 6920 fanboy.
    Had the 6940CK. It was painfully accurate, as in I had no business owning it. There was no way that my skills were going to eek out all the all potential. As described, also ran reliably and looked a little rough from the factory, as you should expect from Colt.

Also agree it was a smidge front heavy, but my favorite Colt is a pencil barrel 6720 with a Magpul furniture. The folding front sight is a decent execution- might limit you on a few accessories but very solid. The front rails are thick, but I never felt they were unusually bulky. I don’t think the monolithic uppers give much up - and if I found a deal on the CM 7.62, I would absolutely buy.

Sold it to an officer who needed a factory upper. Replaced with BCM pencil barrel upper that never ended up being more accurate nor felt much lighter. 6940 is a solid solution.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I’ve never heard a single complaint about a 6940 and have always heard about how accurate they are.

I’ve never owned one, but I’ve always wanted one.

I missed out on a factory Colt monolithic upper with 14.5” SOCOM barrel and fixed front sight.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I definitely don't shoot my 6940 much if any at all. I might have to change that. I don't think it's front heavy at all after running to the gun room and comparing it my 3 Colt 6920 uppers. I actually think it's handles better than my 6920 that has a KAC RAS on it. My only complaint is the short Carbine length rail. If Colt only made a ML(ala 6960) barreled one. Just my thoughts.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My gun was very accurate and built like a tank. It has a different assembly if you have to change barrels, not your standard barrel nut but lends to accuracy ( I was told). Some people didn’t like how short the rail is but it worked fine for me. Also if it were longer, it would make it unwieldy. I felt it was very handy because the weight was more centered.

I sold the upper and bought the 10.3 inch monolithic upper and is my go to HD gun. So, I’m a fan. The shorty is the 6945 vs 6940.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 01-25-21 at 20:44.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I highly recommend. I put a 6944CK upper (this is the 6940 upper with a 14.5" barrel that I had pinned and welded) on my 6920 lower. I love it - very accurate, monolithic upper is stronger and doesn't flex or twist, it handles heat much better than the new MLoc fore ends, flip-up front sight, and pic rails all around.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    And the front sight is a beast, SOLID.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I consider the 6940 the pinnacle of AR15 development. I'd pretty much take it over anything... I'm glad I was one of the early 2009 adopters that got one from the first run batch without the cam pin plate and without the locking front sight.

Fun fact: The 6940 was Colt's first model where they brought back the standard milspec size trigger and hammer pins, and that change slowly worked it's way into all of Colt's other models from there.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 01-26-21 at 09:13.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    The Colt 6940 is a fantastic rifle, Colt's best for sure. The worst aspect of it is the width and bulk of the rail; had Colt continued the natural progression and made the FSP cutout version that they teased, it would have been my all time favorite rifle.

Feedback Score
    Clyde Armory had a pallet of these in the $1500 range last weekend if anyone was looking for one.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast