Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shaving

Feedback Score
    Yeah Feather blades need to be used for a bit before they mellow out enough to not give razor burn.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    If you aren't using a chainsaw to shave, you're wrong!

Truthfully, I let myself "go" shaving wise as soon as I retired. That and that little blue ID card that somehow added 20 pounds to my ass immediately upon retirement.

Anyway, I've had a beard since that historic day I departed the base as a civilian and haven't looked back. Kind of my rebellion for having to shave for so long. These days, I trim my neck and cheeks and little else.

A single Mach 3 will last me at least three to four months. Crazy thing is, once I retired I started breaking out all my deployment bag stuff we had to have on hand "just in case" and started using it up. I think I finally ran out of razors sometime last year from everything I'd bought over the years and had sitting and waiting.

Retired in 2013 FYI.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    I also have a beard, but my neck needs to be shaved and so do my upper cheeks or else I look like a cave man, I shave my head too because my hair decided to not grow on my head much anymore.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think a lot of guys hate shaving because they don’t know how to shave.

I love a good double edge razor, if I’m in a hurry I use my disposable straight razor because there’s no need for the strop, but if I have the time. I pull out the Dovo for the best shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by donlapalma View Post
    ... I've gone to a Braun electric shaver and I'm very happy with that choice. No more razor burn or irritated skin...
    +1. I use a Braun electric razor too (every day), got tired of the razor burn and irritated skin. I’m retired now so no need for a closer shave, I won’t even wear a necktie anymore.

Feedback Score
    I only shave every three days or so. But I stopped using the newest multi blade bs stuff in 2010. I bought my first straight razor and strop then, and refuse to go back. Not much beats shaving with that 5/8 square point thiers issard razor she’s a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Currently using a Feather razor with Feather razor blades. May have to try those Astra blades. I really like the Larher & Wood shave soap; sandalwood and bay rum are my favorite scents.

Using a Georgetown Pottery scuttle. It has a reservoir for hot water allowing for a warm lather. This works surprisingly well. I use water at 208°F from my hot water holder that’s used for coffee and tea.

Shaving scuttle
    https://www.georgetownpottery.com/category/Shaving.html

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    There are loads of variety packs that allow you to try different blades and see what’s right for you.

And don’t listen to the “your skin will get used to it” crowd. I heard that for 25 years, and then finally figured out that it wasn’t my skin, but the entire system I had bought into that was giving me problems.

Sent from 80ms in the future

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    There are loads of variety packs that allow you to try different blades and see what’s right for you.

And don’t listen to the “your skin will get used to it” crowd. I heard that for 25 years, and then finally figured out that it wasn’t my skin, but the entire system I had bought into that was giving me problems.

Sent from 80ms in the future
    If you don’t shave for awhile then shave, yes you’ll get more razor burn. But it only lasts a shave or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Funny straight razor story.
    We were shooting gunnery in Graf and I'm in the latrine shaving. I shaved with a straight razor I got trading around. My First Sargent is about ten feet behind me shaving.
    I reach in to my Tanker boot and pull out my straight razor and I hear, "No, oh HELL no!" He gave me a cheap Bic Disposable and gave me back my razor when I PCS'ed.
    You know the EM clubs in Graf used to have a hell of a reputation for hand to hand combat. As a matter of fact, I think he picked me up at the MP Station there one time. Top was there when it went down. Funny Shit now that I'm pushing 60.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast