Thread: New to me: Rem 760 in 30-06

Feedback Score

New to me: Rem 760 in 30-06

Well, this must be my year for new gun experiences.

It looks like I'm going to inherit a Remington 760 in 30-06 from a relative. Sister-in-law's dad passed, SIL doesn't want the gun, brother doesn't want it so it comes to me. I haven't gotten my hands on it yet, so pics when I do.

I know nothing about Rem pump rifles except they exist. I do have a few cans of Greek 30-06 for my Garand.

Any concern shooting the Garand loads in this rifle? Anything else I need to know or look out for before I shoot it?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Amish Uzi!!!

AFAIK Garand ammo is fairly light compared to other factory/hunting loads

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Everything I have heard about the 760 has been good and they were very popular in Pennsylvania woods. I always thought a 760 and 870 would pretty well set a person for hunting, similar manual of arms, etc. The Garand-spec ammo is fine in the 760.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-26-21 at 23:11.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Ah, the Pennsylvania assault rifle. Pick up an extra magazine or two to make sure you can keep it running. Garand ammo is fine. Even SAAMI-spec factory ammo is loaded down in deference to older (mainly military) rifles.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 760 is honestly one of the best rifles Remington ever made. Much better than their 740 series though they look similar.

The rifles are often amazingly accurate- they use a 9 lug rotating bolt to lock up and the barrel is moderately heavy and free floated. I have seen several that would shot right at MOA- despite an ambiguous trigger.... They were used by the American Team in the Olympics in the 1960's in the Running Deer competition--.222's I believe.

I have several in the gun safe- pair of '06's, a .308, a .35 Whelen, a .35 Remington and a .243 somewhere, may have swapped that one off.......

Very popular throughout the Midwest and North East- western hunters often look down their nose at them assuming they are not all that accurate- I have bought several here in Texas, very cheap, for that reason. They share the same controls as the Remington 870- safety, action release....making them popular where lots of wing shooting happens....

I'm a fan.
    Last edited by Esq.; 02-18-21 at 14:31.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.