Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Langdon Tactical 1301 choke question

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Langdon Tactical 1301 choke question

Recently ordered and received a LTT 1301 with all the good stuff. Tried it out the other day with a box of birdshot to check cycling, then some 00 buck loads.

Not entirely thrilled with the 00 buck spread past 10 yards. Wondering if a little choke would help.

For comparison my Vang Comp'd 590A1 will hold 7 of 9 pellets on a pie plate at 25 yds. This 1301 is to pie plate or a bit larger by 10-12 yards. At 25 it has completely blown out.

Any experience/experimentation with chokes? Sent LTT an inquiry and all they've said so far is yes chokes will have an effect. I was hoping they had done some testing or would have some recommendations, but I've gotten nothing really useful from them so far.

Yes I know about the Federal Flite Control wads. That's plan B. Finding those loads nowadays is a problem.

So before I waste money and time and ammo running tests I was hoping one of you had done the work and could tell me the answer.

As a side note I am thrilled with the gun otherwise. Just need to figure this part out.
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 01-26-21 at 16:22.

Feedback Score
    What choke did you have in it when you were shooting it?
    DK

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Experienced same with my 1301. What ammo are you experiencing this with?
    Initially I was using some cheapo RIO 00Buck- that was 75% of the problem.

Installed an extended IC and switched ammo- it's money now; 15 yds=4"-6" spread with Federal "Flight Control" 00Buck.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Just for grins shoot it without the choke screwed in or with a cylinder choke if you have one. Putting cheap OO through more choke usually opens up the pattern. The soft shot is deformed by the choke.

Feedback Score
    I have the same shotgun from LT, great shotgun, ran over 100 rounds in one setting.

The key for me was not the shotgun but the round. I had some cheap buckshot I used, functioned well, grouping was ok, left the choke in the came with it.

So I loaded up some flight control federal buckshot, 25 yds about 3", I will take that.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by awmp View Post
    I have the same shotgun from LT, great shotgun, ran over 100 rounds in one setting.

The key for me was not the shotgun but the round. I had some cheap buckshot I used, functioned well, grouping was ok, left the choke in the came with it.

So I loaded up some flight control federal buckshot, 25 yds about 3", I will take that.
    If people want tight groups why don't they just shoot slugs?

Feedback Score
    I would imagine that with flight control you would want to use cylinder or improved cylinder. It shoots very well out of my 870P, which I believe has an improved cylinder barrel but no removable choke.

Flight control buckshot is amazing. If you don't agree yet, go pattern some and report back. Not a shot at the OP, just a statement for anyone that is not familiar with flight control buckshot.
    Last edited by BigTex2000; 02-04-21 at 08:07.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    If people want tight groups why don't they just shoot slugs?
    Slugs make 1 hole, buckshot 8 or 9. Tighter patterns means a longer effective range.

Andy

Feedback Score
    That and there is a difference between shooting 10 slugs and 10 rounds of buckshot. The recoil of the buckshot is much more pleasant than that of the slugs.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Sorry to take so long to get back. It came with a cylinder choke which is what I was using. I was firing two loads - Winchester Ranger RA12005 and Remington SP12. Both are 9 pellet loads and while the Remington was inexpensive I'd say neither is a "cheap" load. No discernible difference in performance between the two.

I sent an email to LTT, got a somewhat disappointing email back that said choke will affect pattern. Well duh no foolin'. I think it Ernest had answered I'd have my answer.

Think I'll pony up for an IC choke and see how it does. Fed Flite Control rounds are unobtainable presently.
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 02-04-21 at 23:00.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast